Best Case Solely for Protection

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ShunGon, Jul 3, 2010.

1. ShunGon macrumors newbie

Like, if you weren't even going to bother caring about the looks or bulk of the iPhone 4 with said case on, which single case (or combination of case and screen protector) would you get? Mainly for protection from falls n' stuff.

And, lets just say I'm incredibly bat**** stupid (oh wait - I am). How do screen protectors actually protect from falls/drops, like I'm seeing a few of them being advertised? ._.

EDIT: That's less than $40. :x

2. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

3. Jamz00 macrumors member

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Solely for protection? Pelican case. Almost indestructible and it floats in water.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I've read that as far as drop protection goes, the bumper is up there because instead of transferring force through the case into the phone like cases that contact the back do, the bumper itself absorbs the force, and doesn't transfer much to the phone

might want to look into it

6. ShunGon thread starter macrumors newbie

Have been looking at Otterbox's cases; how well would the Impact series case hold up to drops? I'm sure the Commuter would be great, but... (and the Defender just costs too much for my tastes).

7. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

You could pick-up an OtterBox Defender for the 3GS on fleaBay for less than $40 when they had just come out (and now less than twenty bucks including shipping), so I imagine the iP4 Defender cases will be available soon for under your quoted budget.

8. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Scratch protection

Bumpers showing up here already. Lots of broken glass reports already with the bumper. :rolleyes:

Search is your friend

9. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Even in that drop test video they had to drop the uncased iP4 onto concrete four times to get it to break. Bumpers have to be a step up from bare, but for people like the OP (and myself) who know they're clumsy, the OtterBox Defender is pretty much a guarantee of protection.

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

thats the OPs job, if he's interested, not mine
    I'm just trying to be helpful and relay what I've heard
    I really don't have enough interest to search for it

thanks for the concern though