Best cases with a detachable cover?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by LincolnsiPod, Sep 2, 2011.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

After playing around with cases for the iPad I decided I like the use of a smart cover as a stand for viewing/typing and putting the iPad to sleep, but NOT the feel of it when I'm holding it in my hand for reading, or the fact that it blocks the camera when I fold it back. So I basically have two options:

• Get a back cover case that allows for the smart cover to be used. My question is, am I going to be ok constantly taking the smart cover on and off all the time? When I'm in the house I won't be using it much, so the smart cover is more for when I'm traveling (watching a movie on a plane or typing at a Starbucks.) Are there cases that allow for the smart cover to be held into place when it's folded back too (so it's not flapping around)?

• Get a case with its own cover, but which is detachable. The only case I've found like this is the Candyshell by Speck. Don't like that it doesn't put the iPad to sleep and has no matte finish available though. Are there any other options besides the Candyshell?

Appreciate any feedback on what's worked for others.

2. mgg macrumors member

I have the iVolution case by Vaja for my iPad 1, and I love it. I leave the back on all the time, but leave the front off when I'm at home. (It can clip onto the back if you want.) It doesn't have any type of built-in stand -- I use a WedgePad when at home. You can fully customize it by choosing both the inside and outside colors.

It looks similar in idea to the Candyshell, except it's made of (very nice) leather.

http://vajacases.com/
    http://wedgepad.com/wedgepad-ipad-lap-stand

3. preppy macrumors member

preppy

I just fold the smart cover in half when I fold it behind the iPad. It lays flat and lets me hold the iPad almost as if there were no case.... I dont like the folded "triangle" that all of the pictures depict when I am actually holding the iPad either...

4. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the recs so far. I wouldn't mind the smart cover either if it just stayed in place when folded back, so I think I'm going to give the Smartshell from Speck a try along with an authentic smart cover (it has a magnet in the back to hold the smart cover in place.) I'm using a full case now with a faux smart cover, but I found the edges too sharp to hold comfortably when folded back, which is a shame because it's a pretty solid case otherwise. I agree the triangle hold isn't really ideal either, after a while my hand starts to fatigue.