Best cellular/data plan for daughter's first phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creativedogmedia, Jun 2, 2014.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I've worked in the wireline/mobile industry for 22 years....I've never had to pay for wireless service. Starting to explore my daughters first phone before next year's school. For an iPhone, what are the most economical plans on the market right now? I'd expect very low voice requirement and 1GB of data. What is everyone seeing out there? I can obviously Google this and see retail plans but I know there are ways to get better deals. Thanks in advance.

2. BeeJee macrumors 6502

If you're in the U.S., many people will probably tell you to go with T-Mobile for their very low prices. Personally I love the AT&T GoPhone Plan that costs me around 53 a month for 2.5GB of Data and personal HotSpot for free with Unlimited everything else. Depending on how old your daughter is, she may text her friends a lot more than you expect. But like I said, you should give us your location.

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Sorry...in Virginia. I know the ATT family plan (4 for $160) is a pretty decent deal but mine and my wife's plans are taken care of so not sure it makes sense putting one person on that type of plan...

4. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I believe that AT&T still offers single line plans for around $60/month (I believe). However, I would be more inclined to go with T-Mobile, AT&T Go, Straight Talk or Net10.

5. BeeJee macrumors 6502

That's why I recommended the GoPhone plan... T-Mobile also has comparable plans.

6. rockitdog macrumors 68020

In Vrigina, I wouldn't touch T-Mobile. Their network coverage is still lousy and unless you are right in major market/ area, coverage is severely limited.

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

8. 869639 macrumors 6502

Straight Talk $45 Plan - Buy 3 months at a time from Walmart making it $42.xx/month --- Great savings -- use a address for a state that doesn't charge tax and your set because they email it to you anyway.

9. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

There's also Aio/Cricket Wireless for $45/mo with Auto Pay for 2GB if you want hassle free visual voicemail.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

Just get T-Mobile for her. Low priced and decent service.

11. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I second Aio/Cricket I get the same coverage I did with my AT&T phone. I haven't had any complaints.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Att prepaid aio wireless better coverage and $45 a month with auto pay. All taxes included. Best overall coverage (for the money) with 2gb data and no over charges.

13. 617aircav Suspended

And that's the truth.

14. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Whatever you do put a data cap on the line. 2gb or whatever you decide. Not fun to pay for overages.

Also, read the fine print on some of these $45 all in one packages. Virgin only allows 3g while using youtube, which makes it almost unusable. Many of these plans that claim unlimited data are not without issues, they throttle you back to snails pace after 2gb.

15. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If coverage is decent in your area and most places your daughter goes, look into T-Mobile. $50/month for unlimited talk and text and 1gb of data plus $27/month for 24 months for the iPhone 5s or $22.91/month for the 5c. Both are no money down.

If you don't want to pay that much, I'd find a used phone and a prepaid service like AT&T Go Phone or Verizon prepaid that will let you bring your own device (a Verizon iPhone 5/5c/5s can be activated on any GSM carrier, but service quality might vary). This is because many prepaid plans don't offer the newer iPhones. They have the 4 or the 4S. Of course any bring your own device plan will be cheaper since you'd just be paying for the service.

Since your plan is paid for though, is there any way to add your daughter to it? Then you don't pay anything.

16. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Walmart has it's own unlimited* plan for $39.88/month: http://www.walmart.com/cp/Family-Mobile/1076544. NET10 can be found for $45 for unlimited*. The latter can use AT&Ts same network- even at LTE speeds. The Walmart plan may be limited to 3G speed only.

Look around at the off brands for the best pricing deals. AT&T, Verizon, etc are getting there but are still clinging to old tricks. Some of those off brands don't play the same games so the bill ends up being pretty much what was quoted.

17. 869639 macrumors 6502

Walmart $40 plan is absolute best deal if OP lives in good T-mobile coverage area. Otherwise Straight Talk (3GB) or AIO/Cricket (2.5GB) are best options as AT&T Coverage is way better than T-mobile anyday

18. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I was able to get an iPhone 5 through my company at no charge but it doesnt have a SIM installed....It's an ATT iPhone 5 and we wont be activating service for a few months. Is there a way around the "no SIM installed" message at startup so she can just use as wifi device until then?

19. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, put it into Airplane mode and then turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

20. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Sorry, it was at Welcome/Startup screen so I couldn't get to settings. I ended up grabbing ATT sim. Thanks!