Best CF Skin rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drtran83, Feb 17, 2014.

1. drtran83 macrumors member

I'm looking for the best quality CF skin for my new 15" rMBP

I've got my choices narrowed down to:

www.bodyguardz.com
    www.luckyskins.com
    www.ghostarmor.com

I know that icarbons is available, but I'm looking for one that will expose the apple. If anyone has any advice on any one of the places above, please feel free to let me in on your experiences and opinions.

Thanks!

2. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I used iCarbon on my old late 2011 and it was very good but like you I'm thinking of getting another with an open Apple logo on the top lid.

lucky skins - 67.49
    bodyguardz - 49.99

Can't tell if Ghost Armor has an open Apple logo on the top lid or not for 69.95.

Such hard choices but I'm leaning towards Lucky Skins since it covers all like iCarbon.

3. jakespeed, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

jakespeed macrumors member

I have used so many of these over the years i lost track of what brands there are. I always used iCarbons until they had to remove the logos.

The current one that I have on my 13 Retina is XGear EXOSkin. I found it on amazon for a decent price. The fit was very good (as good as any other brand i have used. The cutouts on the bottom are removed for you so that simplifies things, the fit on top left a VERY small 1mm edge which i think is about perfect. As a bonus it come with a iPhone 5 skin.....not sure i will use it but i think its clever how they used the empty space left over from the keyboard cutout to make something useful. As a second bonus, the red ones appear to be cheaper on amazon... no idea why. I paid around 32 bucks for the 13 inch Full Skin....since i wanted red it worked out perfectly.

One last comment, if you are not great at installing these, the Lucky ones are a little easier. They put a small v-slit on the corners of the skin that eliminates the need to heat the corners to get them to lay down smoothly. Also the edge gaps were a little larger, again i think to make it easier to install. If you need an easy to install cover, the Lucky ones are great ( I have a lucky on my Wife's 15 ) but if i was ordering and willing to spend the time to heat the corners etc, the XGear is one of the better ones i have used.

4. drtran83 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice jakespeed, I too thought about XGear's EXO Skin for mine as well due to Amazon. But what threw me off was when I tried to contact Xgear about a question, I never got anything back from them. So it kinda threw me off of buying from a company that doesn't respond to emails.

I was wondering if you had pictures of your red skin on your rMBP, I'm curious to see what it looks like. Does it have the apple cut out as well?

RXMO... I contacted Ghost Armor about the apple logo cut out, and its been about a week and I haven't received a reply... I'll let you know if I ever hear anything back.

So far LuckySkins seems to be the winner right now... Anyone else have opinions?

5. jakespeed macrumors member

I never seem to hear from any of these little companies. The ones on Etsy are just as bad.

Here are some pics for ya. This is the XGear on my 13. I have had good luck with most of them so you probably can't go wrong.

Attached Files:

6. drtran83 thread starter macrumors member

That looks really good man, thanks!

I may put XGear on the list then.