Best chance in NYC tomorrow AM?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rebubula, Apr 6, 2011.

1. rebubula macrumors newbie

I have to drop the ol' ball and chain off at 6:30 am in midtown. I was thinking about sucking it up and waiting in line at an apple store. What stores have people had most success recently? Has the scalper problem decreased since the international release?

2. kelving525 macrumors regular

I am also wondering, but I think the best bet is probably the one on the Upper West Side. 5th Ave/SoHo/14th St. seem to attract a large amount of scalpers. I have ordered mine and is scheduled for delivery on before April 28th. If I can get my hands on one before that then it would be great!

3. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Judging by the lines at my Apple store in Utah the other day and knowing how crowded NY is, I think you may be arriving a little too late. I got to mine at 4:45 and by ticket hand out time the line had nearly 100+ people in it. Of course your milage may very. While I was first I did see scalpers in line. Just before the doors opened a male in his mid 20's with a lock box was handing out the cash to the line waiters. Don't know how they expect to make any money at this point.

4. jedispongee macrumors newbie

I got to the SoHo store at 6:20AM this past Tuesday (4/5) to a fairly large line. I would estimate that I was somewhere between #50-70. By the time the shipment arrived at 7:30AM-ish, the line had stretched down Greene St., ending almost at West Houston St. Soon, the staff did their "what-iPad-would-you-like" thing, and announced after a few minutes that there were no more WiFi or AT&T iPads left to us further back in line. They did have Verizon iPads.

Unfortunately, the only people who got iPads were scalpers. I would say there were at least 30 of them.

I was able to get a white 64GB WiFi iPad at Tekserve around 5PM today (4/6). They had a few white 64 GB WiFi iPads in stock when I left.

The 23rd St. and 6th Ave. Best Buy had only 64GB Verizon iPads (not sure which color) as of 5PM at 4/6.

A family member has mentioned that usually there are "a lot" of people camping overnight at the 59th St. Apple store.

A little further out from NYC, the Roosevelt Fields Mall and the Manhasset Apple stores only had Verizon iPads left when they opened as of 4/3.

Hope this helps!

5. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Yeah the scalper situation is still very bad. I would have thought that the crash of the little scalper bubble would have deterred them. Oh well I was still able to get a 64GB 3G White at my location and am really liking the white one even though I initially went for a black one.

Good luck getting your iPad. If I had one suggestion to make it would be to go to NJ or CT to pick one up. You are probably going to have much better luck.

6. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I wonder why there are so many scalpers still out? I thought/hoped the business would completely collapse after the international launch.

7. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Still no iPad 2 in China.

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Ahhh I didn't know that. Well, makes sense then.

9. Smoothness macrumors regular

It's interesting that the last ipads to go are the Verizon models always, everywhere

10. grapejoos macrumors member

This is pure hearsay/rumor, but I've heard that the Upper West Side store is the best bet. A coworker of mine got his there last weekend - he got there around 6AM. I think they were down to 32/64GB Verizons and Wi-Fis of some capacity at that point. AT&T seems to always be the first to sell out.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

*Guarantee not backed up by anything....

Sounds like you have a car. Make a left when you drop her off and cross in New Jersey. Go West on Route 3 and hang a right onto 17 North. Pull into the Garden State Plaza and get inside when they open the doors for the mall walkers. Line up on the second floor, right across from the apple store. You'll get one. I personally guarantee it. *

12. kelving525 macrumors regular

I'm not surprised, Verizon uses CDMA and it's not attractive for scalpers who send their iPads overseas, where the majority of them uses GSM (AT&T).

I check Best Buy's inventory and it seems to be easing up, but who knows if they even have it in store. :rolleyes:

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

A friend did the best buy inventory thing on Tuesday and it worked out for him

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yup. It's supposed to come to Hong Kong this month. Scalper situation in the US will drop off dramatically after that happens, I'm willing to bet.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Skip the Apple stores. Try BB, Tekserve, Mike's Tech Shop, Datavision, Radio Shack, AT&T, Target Harlem or BKLYN, Digital Society, J&R, B&H, Adorama…anywhere but an Apple store.

16. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

As a fellow NY'er just wanted to chime in. After observing the ridiculous dance going on in the area, for giggles I ordered a black 64 ATT yesterday from MacConnection and it shipped today (!)

Considering I hadn't seen one available for sale in any store at any time (and I am talking apple, BB, target, radio shack, and TekServe, all of which I've monitored and tried from time to time) that's pretty amazing.

Fwiw too at those other stores I had ample opportunity to get just about any other model/color at some point along the way. But I wanted what I wanted :)

17. joesegh macrumors regular

I went to SoHo yesterday at 9:30 a.m. No lines, but they only had Verizon models. It's getting better but still not easy. I'll probably try again sometime next week.

18. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

That's because the verizon ones are having 3G issues, if you turn it off(the3G connectivity), the only way to use 3G again is by restarting/rebooting the iPad =[

19. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I hadn't heard this. My Verizon iPad reconnects just fine. Then again, I have only done it once since I have been on wifi mostly. I will have to test it when I get home.

20. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Me either I have the verizon iPad and did not notice the issue until I read about it, but mine does indeed suffer from it...

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I doubt it's a widespread issue if it's only a handful of people experiencing it. Have you gotten it replaced?

22. rebubula thread starter macrumors newbie

Success

Thanks for all your responses. I wound up getting a 64gb white wifi from target in Valley Stream thanks to ipad2locator.. Word to the wise, call ahead before hand because half of the stores in the ny metro area have messed up inventories. Good luck, happy hunting