Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
Hello,

I’m trying to find the most durable charging cable for my iPhone X.
I used to use the original Apple’s charging cables, but each one of them got messed up. So I’m looking for a charging cable that will serve me for a long time.

Thanks.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Can't go wrong with Anker. Good quality products with a fairly easy 18 month warranty.

Reactions: jetsam

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
Can't go wrong with Anker. Good quality products with a fairly easy 18 month warranty.
+1 for Anker.

Their very best cable is the Anker Powerline+ II, which has a lifetime warranty - and it's cheaper than the Apple cables.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Any MFi cable is required to meet the specs Apple has determined, the main spec being 2.4amp @ 5volt. The problem is determining if the cable is really MFi certified or not. Note how this cable doesn't say MFi certified and they advertise 2.1 amp.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204566

Anker (or any name brand) MFi cable is a good choice because they wouldn't be able to falsely claim MFi certification for very long. AmazonBasic cables are also MFi certified and I've had very good luck with them although not as durable as the Anker cables.

IMG_6691.png
iPad charging 2.4amp @ 5volt which is as fast as it will charge using an AmazonBasic 3 ft cable.

Its best to get a cable that is the minimal length you need. At 5v and potentially 2.4amp the conductors diameter (wire gauge) needs to increase as length increases to minimize resistance. As the resistance increases the voltage will drop. Devices with even the dumbest charging circuitry will decrease current to maintain voltage. Volts x Amps = watts so reducing volts and/or current reduces wattage and increases the charging time.

Like for like, longer is worse. Here is a quick example.

Using this hodgepodge setup of a UM34C USB tester with a LM25(?) simulated load to test a cheap 6 inch USB A to USB C cable vs a higher quality 6 foot USB A to USB C cable.

IMG_6697.jpg

Having the load set to 1.5amp.

The 6 inch cable...

IMG_6692.PNG
7.24 watt

The 6 foot cable

IMG_6693.PNG
6.92 watt

Reducing the load to increase the voltage back to 4.85vdc with the 6 foot cable.

IMG_6694.PNG
4.67 watt

Needless to say getting needless long Lightning cables is not only more expensive but will typically have less performance.

Try to glance at the lightning connector before inserting it into an iPhone/iPad. If you see a burnt or corroded contact (black or green) or you see the conductors exposed at any point of it just toss the cable. You do not want to put that into the phone because a poor connection causes high resistance and thus heat. That heat will damage the pins inside the phone just like the connector is damaged on the cable. You can use 99% isopropyl alcohol on a cleaning patch/cloth to clean the port, don't stick anything electronically conductive into the port (I use a slightly modified spudger from iFixit).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3nm and JayJohnPaul

Torlen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
I will be purchasing the Anker Powerline+ II cable, it got such good reviews.

I hope these problems will not happen again.

c2fd3f2ac476d46cdea5041c346e4d11.png

0b86fd1e398fa03bd362810751602319.png

Thank you guys.

Reactions: jetsam
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.