Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anonmars

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
What is the best OSX chat client that supports google talk invisible mode?

Adium still doesn't, which is really annoying. Or does anyone know how to make Adium support invisible mode correctly? When I set it to invisible friends say that it marks me as away and sets the status to be right back.

Thanks.

djshack

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Gmail website :D

Unfortunately, I'm serious. It's also the only way to get proper Away/Idle statuses. If you're in iChat (or any other Jabber client) and "away," you'll appear idle to Gmail users.

EDIT: Further, if you use the Gmail site through Chrome, you can setup desktop notifications which alert you to new email AND new chat messages when it's not the focused window or tab. There's also Mailplane (a Gmail web wrapper/client for Mac), but I've found it to be quite a RAM hog and slow (runs on an older webkit version than Safari).

Last edited:

kisa

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
With the new free Trillian app (available through the App Store), it's possible for GTalk invisibility. I checked by logging into another Gmail account through the website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.