Best, cheap display and printer for my Air..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by esmith08734, Oct 25, 2013.

1. esmith08734 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Let me just apologize if this is posted in the wrong section of these forums and let me also apologize if these topics are frequently discussed. I am really showing my inexperience already, huh?

Well, I recently just 'upgraded' to a 13 inch, 2013 Macbook Air (2010 MBP was water damaged). I am about to enroll in graduate school and I was wondering what is the best, cheap printer (I just need a printer, nothing intense like a copier/scanner), and a good display for a good price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I apologize if this thread beats a dead horse in any way.

-Thanks!

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

kind of hard to buy a printer that's not an all in one anymore... Any big brand would be fine, find one with the price you are looking for. HP, Brother, Epson, etc. are all going to be decent printers.

try something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Brother-DCP-J...d=1382749605&sr=8-13&keywords=brother+printer

As far as a monitor, pretty much the same thing applies. Check out sites like newegg, amazon, best buy, and find whichever one fits your budget in the screen size you want.

Samsung, HP, Dell, Acer, NEC, LG, are all going to give you a decent display.

Can't really give you specific items to buy without more info like budget, sizes, etc.

Don't be scared, you can buy a great one without someone telling you exactly what you need. Shop around and find a decent brand in your budget.

3. cerberusss, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I have been using a Samsung ML-1660 for the last three years on both my MacBooks and my girlfriend's Windows PC.

It's a monochrome laser printer. Fast enough, sharp output and no dust on the printer head or any such nonsense I used to have with inkjet printers during college.

The current version seems something like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-ML-2165W-Wireless-Monochrome-Printer/dp/B006TZGJGO
    Less than 70 bucks.

Disadvantage is that this printer Cannon be used under Linux, as far as I know.

4. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Get a cheap Brother laser printer. It'll last forever, and the cost per page for the toner is waaaaay less than the cost per page of inkjet ink.

My girlfriend is in graduate school, and whenever she needs to print something in color, she just uses the printers at school. For everything else, she uses our monochrome laser printer at home.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

^+1 That's the real cheap printer.

Tons of cheap printers, but the consumables are the ones that kill you. Ink Jet dry out, Laser cartridge not cheap either and how long to wait for warm up?

I just print them at work (when the boss not looking), or school, or library. Don't have to deal with expense and maintenance and space.

Anytime you want to print, and send it to a PDF until you are ready to batch print.

YMMV.

6. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

The Samsung printers don't need any noticeable time to warm up, maybe 5 seconds or so? The cartridges, no they are definitely not cheap, $35 or so. There are cheaper no-brand ones, though.

I agree with you, work or college printer is the best printer though.

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Toner is an expensive up front cost, but the price per page is extremely cheap. I buy toner once every other year… maybe less.

My laser printer takes all of 5 seconds to warm up if it is on standby. Starting from a cold boot is maybe 20 seconds. Certainly faster than waiting around to print at work.

8. mangotears macrumors member

+1 for either solution.
    Brother probably makes the best compact laser printers if you're willing to spend $80-$99. Reliable, compact, plug-n-play on macs, quick start-up.. total life-saver if you're trying to print out a 10-page paper last-minute when you're late for class.
    Brother HL22*0

Inkjets or all-in-ones aren't worth it... a cartridge of ink will barely last you a semester, they're flimsy, tempermental, and takes forever to print one page. Better to go print it at your nearest computer lab.

9. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

And the good thing is that Brother printers have good Linux support, if I remember correctly. If you ever want to connect it to a router or mini server of some sort that happens to run Linux, your chances are good that it would work.

I went to Samsung for strictly budgetary reasons, but their support outside Windows/OS X is non-existent.