Best cheap external enclosure for HDD swap?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Lurchdubious, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I could use some help: I'm going to do my first HDD swap with my unibody macbook. I was all set to use Time machine, but I'm hearing that CCCloner or SuperDuper are a better idea. So, could someone link me a good deal on an enclosure I can stick my new drive into?

OR, would I be ok just cloning to a partition on my 1TB external WD drive, then installing the fresh HDD, then cloning from external WD to new internal?

Sorry for the noobish questions. I've been searching, but haven't really found what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

2. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

i used a vizo one from newegg. but honestly it doesnt rly matter what enclosure u use.

and u dont have to use a drive duper of you dont want to. you can reinstall osx and just copy over the files u want. thats what i did so everything starts fresh

3. Lurchdubious thread starter macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Thank you! I actually pulled the trigger on This One, so hopefully it will get here ASAP. Is Newegg normally pretty quick w/shipping? I really wanted to get a fresh start, but my macbook is running just fine right now, so I think I'll just do the quicker way and use either CCCloner or SuperDuper. Any opinions on which is better?

Thanks!