Best cheap network hard drives?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by saleemyas3, Jun 13, 2012.

1. saleemyas3 macrumors regular

I want a hard drive that i can connect to my router since my MBA has a pretty small hard drive. what's the best cheap ones out there? I'll probably be buying off of amazon or ebay.

2. Reidan macrumors member

I have a Seagate Blackarmor NAS Server.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/network-storage/business/blackarmor-nas-220/

I originally purchased this before I received my MBA for Christmas. Was using it for Acronis Backups for my home Win 7 gaming rig. But it works fine with the MBA. Supports OS X and Time Machine. Also supports DLNA and iTunes Media Server.

I still have the original 2 x 2 Tb drives in my NAS and have them mirrored for data protection instead of striped for speed. But there are guides out there on how to replace the OEM drives with larger after market drives. But I have not filled it up yet, so I have not bothered to upgrade it.

3. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

haha thats a little more advanced than what i was looking for. Nothing more than a TB. I just need it to store movies, pictures, etc. stuff that i dont need on my MBA 24/7 but can still easily access.

4. Reidan macrumors member

Seagate has a single drive model in the same Black Armor series, the NAS 110 model. A lot cheaper too. Has most of the same supported options as the model I have.

I actually had one of these prior to my NAS 220 model. But, it got knocked over and fell off the back of the desk onto the floor and killed the drive. So I replaced it with the larger model instead of replacing the drive in the old one.

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/network-storage/business/blackarmor-nas-110/

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just to add...The smaller ones are not always cheaper...Why not grab a 2 or 3 TB for future use? Amazon have some good deals.

6. saleemyas3 thread starter macrumors regular

Bump. has anyone tried this one? Im a little worried that i wont be able to install it on my MBA because of the lack of a CD drive.