Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSandman2236

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey everyone -- I'm finally in the market for a new Macbook Pro. Where's the best/cheapest place to get one? I still have my student discount through Apple -- but I think I can do better. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :apple:

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010
The student deal from apple is solid. Only other places I would try are amazon and best buy.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
If your looking for a 13", or you don't care about the high-res or antiglare on the 15" then Amazon is a really solid choice. Usually no tax and I've had excellent luck ordering a lot of electronics from Amazon. They do some great boxing and shipping; everything is padded and secured. They usually place the box within another box as well so your item is protected from bashing around by FedEx or UPS.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010

Thank you...... for a 15.4 base 2011 with tax savings and discounts.... a $300 delta vs buying retail!!

After reading another similar idea I will be buying a new 15.4 base model every year after refreshes are announced and selling the 1 year old. Probably lose 2 to 3 hundred each year but will always have applecare for no additional cost and always get the thrill of a new machine........ cheers...... hi-ho thunderbolt......

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
Amazon ... do some great boxing and shipping; everything is padded and secured. They usually place the box within another box as well so your item is protected from bashing around by FedEx or UPS.

That seems to be variable. When I received my 2008 Macbook from Amazon, the Apple box was in a larger Amazon cardboard box along with just one sheet of packing paper, which was simply placed in the box. In other words, no padding at all and the Apple box was free to careen around inside the larger box.

I just ordered a Speck hard case, Moshi Palm Guard, and some batteries from them about a month ago. Again, items just "loose" inside a much larger box. Granted, these were not as fragile as a computer, but still it was sloppy.

I'm not challenging your experience at all; just saying that it does not seem to be consistent.

MT

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
That seems to be variable. When I received my 2008 Macbook from Amazon, the Apple box was in a larger Amazon cardboard box along with just one sheet of packing paper, which was simply placed in the box. In other words, no padding at all and the Apple box was free to careen around inside the larger box.

I just ordered a Speck hard case, Moshi Palm Guard, and some batteries from them about a month ago. Again, items just "loose" inside a much larger box. Granted, these were not as fragile as a computer, but still it was sloppy.

I'm not challenging your experience at all; just saying that it does not seem to be consistent.

MT

I'm sorry to hear that! Like I said, I think I have just had good luck with Amazon. I bought a Seagate Ultraportable GoFlex 500 GB external drive about a week ago and it came inside another box with bubble wrap inside so the drive didn't flop around. I guess it does vary from person to person!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.