best/cheapest way to run old windows 95/ MS-DOS game?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MoncoZero, Jul 8, 2007.

1. MoncoZero macrumors member

I was cleaning my room and found all my ancient computer games (number/word munches, oregon trail, where in the world is carmen sandiago, the incredible machine). I also found leisure suit larry: love for sail for windows 95 or MS-DOS. I was wondering if there was a cheap way to play it on my intel mac. I have heard of (but don't know much about) parallels and crossover, but believe you have to buy windows - which is too much to pay for the novelty of playing an old game. I am thinking, because it is such an old game there may be a less expensive possibility. Suggestions?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Are the games on floppy disks? How do you propose to get them into the Mac?

Borrow or buy a Win 95 machine (you should be able to pick up a Pentium II machine on craigslist for $25 with Win 95 installed)

3. MoncoZero thread starter macrumors member

i do have a imation super disk drive; however, the only game i have interest in playing is leisure suit larry: love for sail, which is on a cd.

Thanks SteveG4Cube, i am currently playing with DOSBox- read (getting frustrated and realizing it may not be worth it)

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Don't forget Cider for OS X.

I've tried Cedega on Linux. It works about as well as Crossover, with the same proviso that only a limited range of software works. Probably a bit overkill, if you only want to run an old DOS game.