Best / Cheapest Way to Upgrade my Macbook PRO Model A1286

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Juggernaut510, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Juggernaut510 macrumors newbie

I currently have 4GB of RAM (DDR3) I believe.....installed on my brand NEW Unibody macbook Pro. I will need to run Windows with Fussion on it. I've seen my co-workers and it runs super slow since you have to dedicate your memory to the windows side as well.

What is the cheapest/ Best way to upgrade to 8GB ?? or maybe even 6GB?

I saw Apples site and they want $1,200 for 8GB which is just freaken INSANE when memory these days is so cheap.

Any ideas? :D

2. goMac macrumors 603

I'd start by posting in the Macbook Pro forum instead of the Mac Pro forum. :p

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

4gb SODIMMs aren't cheap. I don't know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

4. hornshwangler macrumors newbie

Hello & welcome to the forum.

before investing a lot of $$$, I would try running Sun's VirtualBox over fusion. VB is FREE! and I've found the performance more than acceptable on my uMBP. And, before buying any memory upgrades, try running the applications you need to run concurrently and judge how your system performs and whether it's responsive enough. If you determine the performance just isn't where you want it, check out OWC for a really good deal on memory and their free installation how-to videos.

Again, give Sun's VB a try. I run every commercial virtual emulation product available and find VB the best value and a top performer.

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings and decision(s).

Dan