best Chicago bank?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by coneman5259, Jan 4, 2009.

1. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

I'm moving to Chicago in the spring and my bank is exclusive to Michigan. So im looking for a popular bank with lots of ATM's all over the Chicago area, any ideas?

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

3. robo74 macrumors 6502

We have LaSalle turned into Bank of America. Lots of ATM's, Branchs, etc.

No big issues with them, but then again, we don't have much money :eek:

Good Luck and Welcome to Chi Town!

Rob

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

chase is good.

i use national city.

free atm withdrawals at any atm!!!

wooooo

and rob is right we don't have much money lol.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Another vote for Chase. It's your best bet. Let us know when you get here! We'll show you around.

6. coneman5259 thread starter macrumors member

coneman5259

Thanks guys, National City sounds nice with the free ATM withdrawals, i'll have to look further into that, but chase is also something that I was always considering. Anybody have citi checking? I have a credit card through them and they're pretty good to me, but bank coverage might not be the greatest.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I vote credit union. Find one that uses all point ATMs.

All Point ATM are all over the place (beats the hell out of the 2nd most ATMs by a mile which I believe is Chase) and always in a natural location.

Add to the fact credit union offer better interest rates and fewer to no fees they beat banks like chase. And they tend to ofter the same basic services.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

In the UK pretty much every bank's card works in every ATM, regardless of what bank is operating it, do you not have that in the USA?

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I think we do. You just have to pay a fee.

10. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

For the most part any card will work in any ATM. It will just cost you anywhere from $2 - $5 to use one that is not from your bank.

Also, to the OP, I have Harris since I am in the suburbs and have had no issues. As for ATMs, I am not completely sure. I get reimbursed the ATM fees since I am in school, so I don't pay much attention to where I am taking my money from as long as I get it.

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You don't think you could be tempting fate a bit?:)

12. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the process of moving most of my funds over to Fidelity. 3.5% interest, no ATM fees (all ATM fees are reimbursed), no minimum balance, no annual fees, no bounced check fees, free checks, free bill-pay services, and it's FDIC insured.

My primary reason for doing it is the quick turnaround in transfers to/from my brokerage account (also with Fidelity), but it was only a matter of time before I left traditional checking; too much fee swindling. I'm keeping my Chase account open for backup. ING also offers a similar account, I believe.