Best Choice betwixt 13 + 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ach111es, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Ach111es, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

Ach111es macrumors regular

I am going to be a college student next year, and I am planning on getting a macbook pro due to battery life/resell value/ student deal

Uses
    -watching movies (possible on external in higher res), listen to music
    -occasionally converting various files (mp4, wav, avi, possibly raw)-speed isn't a huge factor, but I don't want CPU maxed out so I cannot otherwise be productive
    -email, browsing the internet (like 15 tabs usually), youtube HD
    -typing papers, powerpoints, excel
    -occasional video editing probably maxed at 720p

I will be taking this essentially everywhere. My current laptop is a dell vostro 1510 15.4. I have taken this around various places and its not too much of a hassle. I don't pop it out during my lunch period as there isn't enough room/too much hassle.
    I am also a solid multitasker, I max out my current core 2 duo 2.1 opening itunes and onenote while I'm on the internet. Granted my lappie is not iX anything...

oh and its 8400M GS graphics, which can only play up to 720P without chopping.

15 2.0? or 2.2? Pros:
    overkill power
    bigger screen
    hi-res option

13 in i5? or i7? Pros:
    more portable
    solid power, awful graphics
    cheaper

However: I would like to perhaps resell in 1-2 years to get the inevitably stronger update. Which computer would have the best resell value while still meeting my needs? or rather on which would I experience the best value while still satisfying and surpassing needs?
    The resell is the bottom line if both will be more than adequate.

I will be upgrading HD to SSD or a huge HDD aftermarket.

I plan on using the student deal that apple usually features where they offer 100-200 off, a free printer, and a free ipod touch. Hopefully they offer this again?

Thank you all who respond. I did run various searches but didn't get any real info regarding this particular refresh and was not sure if resell would change.

2. ender land macrumors 6502a

wtf are you doing with itunes and onenote lol.

I just burned a cd as well as converted music from m4a to mp3 and had several other apps going and was browsing the internet fine with no issues (having a C2D 2.4 mpb 13").

that being said, any of the current models will meet your needs. If your current 15.4" is too much of a hassle and too big, I'd recommend a 13". I'm not sure on resale but I imagine they both get dropped a comparable amount in resale.

3. Ach111es thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe its just that I have a ton of notebooks, sections and pages which all have to load haha, not really sure...but it maxes way more than it should!

4. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

A 13" i7 MBP should work well enough, although if you feel like you really need the extra power, bumping up to a 15" might not bad a bad idea. My only problem with the 15" is that the low end model really sucks, to make it worth your while, you really should get the high-end, and that gets expensive.

5. ssdaytona macrumors regular

if you multi-task that much, then you definitely need the 15"

I use mine for surfing the web ~90% of the time. I got the 15" because of the screen quality. If it doesn't live up to my expectations, then I'm going to buy the 13" and compare the two screens side by side. Me, I'd prefer the portability of the 13". I don't even play games on my laptop or do crazy 3d renderings.

It's all about what you look at day after day. i.e., the LCD.

6. frunk macrumors member

2.7 i7 13'. Get 8GB RAM and either max out with a 750GB 7200 HDD or a decent 120 SSD.