Best choice for speed in video editing etc when buying new?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluestreak209, Jun 22, 2010.

1. bluestreak209 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm not super tech savvy, but I do a lot of video editing using programs like final cut pro and color. I know that video takes up lots of space so I'm storing files on an external hard drive, but the programs themselves and the rendering etc they do takes up a lot of space and tends to slow things down. So, when buying a new MacBook Pro for college, I am wondering which model I should choose for optimal processing speed? There are four 15" models available:

15.4" LED / Intel i5 2.4 GHz / 4GB / 320GB / 256MB VRAM / SuperDrive / Glossy (5.6lbs)
    15.4" LED / Intel i5 2.53 GHz / 4GB / 500GB / 256MB VRAM / SuperDrive / Glossy (5.6lbs)
    15.4" LED / Intel i7 2.66 GHz / 4GB / 500GB / 512MB VRAM / SuperDrive / Glossy (5.6lbs)
    15.4" LED Hi-Res Anti-Glare / Intel i7 2.66 GHz / 4GB / 500GB @7200 rpm / SuperDrive (5.6lbs)

Which do you think most suits my needs? Also, do you have any suggestions for how to soup up the computer in particular for such processing heavy activities and for other general activities?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. goldenlotus macrumors regular

Umm If you want the optimal performance just buy the top model. All of those models will run those programs, and the performance differences between them will not be very big. Personally I would go for the top end 17" though because it has a bigger screen and more VRAM. Also get 8 gigs of ram. If you are worried about cash just buy the stock 15. It will work great.