iPad Best choice of an iPad for studies?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sn0op, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Sn0op macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

(Excuse me if there are some mistakes but english is not my first language)
    So I'm would like to have some advices about whether i should buying an ipad OR ipad mini for my studies. I just finished my first year of med school (i believe it's like first year of college in the USA ?) and I was thinking about getting an ipad/ipad mini to help me in the future.)
    I really don't think that i would get use to a stylus so i would only use my ipad/mini with a keyboard and Pages, Evernote,.... I wanted to know if it's possible to type quickly with keyboards that small ? I also want to use my device to stay organized so i'll use A LOT the calendar, the reminder ect. But do I need a 10" for that usage or is an Ipad Mini enough :confused:
    I also want to go on facebook, check my mails and play some small games.
    And my last question is if it's really necessary to wait for the next generation of ipad or ipad mini, because there is the "back to school" thing going on now and maybe it's useless for my usage to wait for the latest devices ?

Any advices or experiences/trouble/.. with the ipad/ipad mini with your studies tasks would be greatly appreciated :)
    Thank U beforehand for your help ! :)

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If portability is key, the Mini is preferred, as it is MUCH smaller and lighter, and far less obtrusive to pull out and use in public.

That said, I'll ask a question you didn't bring up. Do you intend on having any digital text books or publications on this device? The iPad is PERFECT for reading technical papers, pdf's etc; way better than reading them on a computer. If you think that you might have that need - and as I student it's hard to see how you wouldn't - I would suggest the full-sized iPad as it has a much sharper screen and is much closer in size to a traditional piece of paper making reading these documents more comfortable.

3. Sn0op thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I prefere the good old paper in fact, I print my textbook and in work into them. If I use my Ipad/Ipad mini for reading it will be very rarely or to quickly find an information and to check some anatomy sketches; so it's not my main researched point point but it makes me hesitates a lot between the two :(
    (And thank for your answer !)

4. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

The iPad 4 is MUCH better for text. I have both, and the Mini looks like someone wrote the text with a pen that's running out of ink. The Mini's only advantage is its lighter weight, but using it on a desk top in the classroom makes that a non-issue IMO. The Mini shines for use in bed, and when you don't have a bag of any sort, and have to carry the device in your hand.
    Edit: After seeing you won't use either iPad for reading much text, I'd go with the Mini.

5. BerlingerT macrumors member

BerlingerT

I've never noticed any issues with text with my Mini. It has always looked crisp, from what I can tell. Is that just because the 4 has the Retina display? I have compared it with my iPhone 4's retina display and haven't noticed the text on my Mini being that poor.

6. Sn0op thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your answers !
    But do you recommend me to wait for mid September to see if there is a new model of ipad mini or could I just buy it in a few weeks ?
    And on the battery life side, is it really 10 hours like mentioned on their site ? If I use Pages a lot for example ?

7. marcoity macrumors newbie

you should ask the question to yourself, do you need it right now ??
    lets be honest no one really knows exactly when apple will release the new iPads, everyone is purely speculating.

8. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

All of the rumors I've seen are indicating an iPad 5 event in September. The status of the mini at that event is up in the air. It might be a minor spec bump or price drop. A retina mini in September is starting to look like a long shot. However, if you can wait, I would since it is only a few months away.

9. BerlingerT, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

BerlingerT macrumors member

BerlingerT

I use a Mini and it depends on the brightness level you have. Honestly, I always have mine plugged into a charger when I am at work, so I can have it a maximum brightness.

Without that, if I have it between 25-50% brightness and no Wifi or Cellular data turned on, it will last a good 8-10 hours. At half it usually only burns about 10% in an hour, depending on what all you're doing. If it is on high brightness, it will likely only last about 5-7, max. That is what I have seen of the current mini, anyways.

Also, the new version of the Mini will likely not be out until next year.

http://bgr.com/2013/07/15/retina-ipad-mini-release-date-2014/

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You'd need to try one out to answer that question. Keyboard usability varies from person to person.

You also have to answer that question. For some, full size is a must. For others, the Mini is fine. It's not a question with a one-size-fits-all answer.

Also subjective. Do you need it now or not? Is the sale price a priority? What features on a newer device do you think would matter to you?

It sounds like you just need to try one so you can answer the majority of your questions. You can always return if it doesn't meet your needs.

11. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

It's not poor, but the Retina text is perfect. Looking at both devices side by side reveals this quite clearly. My first iPad was a Mini, and I made the mistake of reading text on my wife's iPad 4. I bought a Retina Ipad the next day.....

Pictures and videos are fine on the Mini.....

12. BerlingerT macrumors member

BerlingerT

Maybe it's just because I'm comparing a Mini with my phone. I'll probably get a Retina Mini when it comes out, when it comes out. Ah well. I'm cool with how the Mini looks, lol.