Best cleaning liquid/method?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JosephDuffy, Apr 4, 2011.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi,
    I've had my iPad 2 for over a week now, and I've used it for so much. It's amazing for reading a book on or playing games, I LOVE it! :D
    However, as with all touch screens it's getting dirty. With my iPhone, using a cloth was no problem, but not with the iPad, it's too large.
    I'm looking for a cleaning product to help me clean my iPad, and maybe even resist it from more muck/finger prints.
    I bought my Dad some iClean at Christmas, and he says it's great for his 27" iMac. However, I've seen iKlean which claims to reduce finger prints after appliance.
    My Mum also managed to use some cleaning spray stuff on my Monitor, so if I works on monitors (Or prevents dust), even better! :D
    Overall, I want the best value for money. Also take into account I'm in the UK, so if it's US only/import, it's a no go :)
    Thanks,
    Joseph Duffy

2. NoIdea! macrumors member

I'm in the UK also and I went into PC World and picked up a 2-pack of 100 LCD screen wipes for my MBP and iPad 2.

Just tried it today on the iPad and all the fingerprints and other gunk that was on there came off in an instant, just one wipe...

Up to now it also seems to have reduced the amount of dust and fingerprints that are attracted to the screen.

Its called 'PC World Essentials 100 Screen Wipes' around £7 for two packs.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

iClean by Monster. Apple sells it and by far the best cleaner I've used. Doesn't streak at all.

4. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Check out the Autoglym Fast Glass. It's less than a fiver and will last for feckin' ages. Plus you can use it on your monitors, TV and car windscreen.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

6. Usoandso macrumors member

Usoandso

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

What sort of filth are you getting on your iPad?

Unless it's really nasty/strange (motor oil, dried blood, spaghetti sauce, etc) most normal gunk comes off with a firm swipe with a microfiber cloth. But it's important that you use the right type of microfiber: the fleecy kind, with little loops like terrycloth. The smooth, flat kind tends just to push grease around.

For tough spots, lightly moisten the microfiber. Use plain or distiller water, or 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Vodka or gin would work too, but I can't say I ever had to use them

8. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

in the iPhone and iPad manuals, apple says very clearly not to use abrasive liquids or materials to clean the screen, only to use a microfiber cloth. Alcohol and other solvents (even soapy water) will remove the oleophobic coating that prevents fingerprints.

Just use a dry microfiber cloth.

9. melman101 macrumors 68030

Is that true? I haven't had to get any lately.

10. Bartman01 macrumors regular

Best cleaner in the world is a clean microfiber towel - with a slightly damp corner for those really dirty parts. Use them all the time to get the fingerprints and other mess off the Wife's Macbook Air's screen and aluminum body.

11. xraytech macrumors 68020

12. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Best way to clean iPad?

Best way to clean iPad

MRoogle, use it people.....!

13. tekchic, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Unfortunately, yes. Apple stopped carrying iKlear. Not sure why, because it's a great product. I use iKlear on my MBP, iPhone 4, iPad 2, and even my Nintendo DS Lite :)

I think you can still order it online though.

14. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

At the moment I'm looking at buying the iClean Family Kit, mainly because of it's value for money (Compared to other products), and the fact it comes with a good Micro-Fibre cloth.
    I'll try and lay off the spray, since as someone pointed out, it might remove any sort of protective layer (Another reason I don't want a car screen washer on my iPad xD).
    Unfortunately, I don't have an good micro-fibre clothes around, so I might as well get one. Also, as mentioned by some, the shirt idea won't work, I've done it for a while, but 75% of my shirts don't work :(
    Thanks for all the replies! :)
    Joseph Duffy

15. aibo82 macrumors 6502

16. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Exactly what I use. Works great.

17. JosephDuffy thread starter macrumors regular

18. thekb macrumors 6502a

19. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I use iklear and the micro fibre cloth that comes with it for cleaning pretty much all my gadgets. One bottle lasts me ages even tho its not cheap.

20. Bheleu macrumors 6502

If liquids are required...

96% Ethel alcohol diluted with equal water, and a lint free soft cloth.

This is what you use prior to putting on a screen protector, removes oils and dries via evaporation.

Also apply screen protectors in the restroom after shutting off the air ducts and running a hot shower to remove dusts. Use cellophane tape to remove dust if any does get trapped.

21. poloponies macrumors 68030

Apple's official position on iPad cleaning:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3226

"iPad and iPad 2

Handle your iPad with care to maintain its appearance. If you are concerned about scratching or abrasion, you can use one of the many cases sold separately. To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn off iPad (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide the onscreen slider). Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen."

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Apple stopped selling iKlear and started selling iClean.

23. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Clean white cotton tee shirt (like a Hanes) and warm tap water. Wring it out thoroughly, wipe off with damp part of shirt then dry with dry part of tee shirt