Best Cleaning Product?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by legaleye3000, Aug 2, 2014.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I have a 2013 rMBP 15 and I'm looking for recommendations on cleaning the screen and body... Thanks.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Use a microfiber cloth moistened with a small amount of water. CultOfMac did a tutorial earlier in the week.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use Invisible Glass and a microfiber towel.

[​IMG]

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Screen cleaner spray (usually good for Tv's, phones, tablets, computers, etc) and a microfiber cloth. If you don't want to spray the screen directly, you can spray the cloth.

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

Damp microfiber cloth. I don't use any chemicals on my screen.

6. dwong221 macrumors newbie

I use iKlear on pretty much all of my apple devices.

7. sdimas macrumors member

Any glass cleaning solution should work as long as you don't use an abrasive towel. And always spray on the cloth then wipe the screen (same goes for any electronic device)

8. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Don't get too fancy with this type of stuff, don't even overdo it with water. Some chemical cleaners damage your device.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

10. campyguy macrumors 68040

I'm just guessing from the several responses that most of them don't wear glasses. I do, for 40-odd years. Don't use tap water - it's a poor "cleaner". Find a mirror or window, use a finger and tap on it as you would a keyboard for a bit, then use water and a microfiber cloth - you'll see smears and spots of mineral deposits (especially if you live in oil or natural gas country, where the water's hard). Those smears and splotches won't show up on your Mac, but they'll be there.

Most lenses in glasses are plastic or polycarbonate - the American Optometric Association recommends using ordinary dish soap with water (I use distilled water) and a microfiber cloth. I use a drop or two of unscented dish soap - the surfactant, which reduces the surface tension of water and oils - added to an ounce of distilled water in a sprayer bottle, along with a microfiber cloth.

I also use a high-powered mini vacuum to remove the crud from my keyboard that I picked up from Fry's for a few bucks.

Or, you can watch some slickly produced video with some guy that really doesn't know what he's talking about and buy into that...

11. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

I will agree with much of the above, and add that since 2006 I have cleaned ALL my MBPs with Water and a Mild Soap, dampening a Soft Cloth and wiping gently.. if a particularly dirty area from Oils and Fingerprints, I make sure to fold/ swap cloths to keep from 'recycling the mess'.. Quickly drying with another soft cloth seems to keep any streaks down, and repeat as required, usually every couple of weeks for me.. Good Luck

12. imm22 macrumors regular

Very well said !