Best cleaning solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThunderRoad, Oct 21, 2010.

1. ThunderRoad macrumors member

2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I use iKlear for everything, keyboard, body and screen however I use one cloth for the screen and a seperate cloth for the rest of the unit so as not to scratch the screen, works well.

3. ThunderRoad thread starter macrumors member

Do you live in the UK? If so any idea where I could get it from?

4. uuaschbaer macrumors regular

uuaschbaer

Unless I'm mistaken the manual recommends not using a cleaning solution and advises against spraying liquid on the screen.

5. solos72 macrumors newbie

I have to agree iKlear is the best. I use it for all my electronics. They give you plenty of spare cloths, a nice big cloth and several travel wipes, best investment for my MBP.

6. ThunderRoad thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good, I'll try and find some I guess. Is there any truth to what uuaschbaer said though?

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The manual and the KB article contradict each other, but the article says
    Anyway, iKlear is the way to go. I've used it on my growing collection of Apple products for a number of years, and my stuff always comes out looking clean and fresh but not reeking of ammonia and alcohol (none of which is in iKlear). I believe it's also non toxic too. You can buy the kit at the :apple: store, but just the bottle and a MF cloth will work. A single lasted me about 2 years of random cleaning over multiple devices.

8. solos72 macrumors newbie

I have found that glass cleaners, part alcohol/water solution and even mild soap left streaking, especially on the glass. I used to become so frustrated and almost become OCD with constantly polishing the streaks off the screen. The first time I used iKlear I was shocked how clear and streak free it made my screen like the day I bought it. It works well with getting out the greasiness on the trackpad and screen. I got mine from a local mac store.

9. ihonda macrumors 68000

10. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

You should never spray anything directly onto any screens, always on a cloth first. As for not using any sprays, I'm pretty sure any sort of screen cleaner is fine, its windex and stuff like that which should be avoided.

I used to use iklear for my screen, but I noticed it left permanent hazy streaks on my screen over time. I'm not sure if it was error on my part, maybe I didn't wait till the screen was cool enough when cleaning. I got the screen replaced and I now use monster LCD cleaner and havn't had problems since. I use iklear for everything else though

11. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

This is what I do also.

12. Chris.J macrumors newbie

I've always used IPA for cleaning my computers. Buy a cheap bottle off eBay and it lasts for ages!

On the screens, I tend to dilute it down to 50%, but it is still completely safe. Removes all traces of grease and grime. It can occasionally streak on the screen slightly, but you leave it to complete evaporate and polish it off with your apple cloth.

I've always been very reluctant to buy expensive cleaning solutions that you can buy alternatives for the fraction of the price, as long as you can cope without the fancy packaging.

Looking on Amazon, that iKlear is £15!! :eek:

13. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a