Best Clear Case To Buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsf8x, May 15, 2011.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Hi! I actually have an aluminum MacBook but for my question this forum makes more sense. What are some of the best cases to buy to protect my MacBook because it is really starting to scratch up and I'd like to protect it so I can use it for as long as I can.

thanks for the help

2. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Apple's team of highly skilled engineers designed it to NOT be encased in plastic. That traps heat and will reduce its lifespan.

The companies that make those cases cater to peoples OCD. they created them to make money. Oh sure they "protect it" but at the long term detriment of your Mac. Some people will argue otherwise cause they rarely keep their Macs over many years.

Try and accept the scratches as signs that you are using and enjoying it.

The Mac is a computer, not artwork :)

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

I have an Elecom case. I like it better than the Speck, because it has the vents at the bottom. LOL. But, the Macbook Pro doesn't have vents in the body, so they probably aren't doing any good! At any rate, I don't think there are that many clear hardcover cases out there, so you'll be fine with anything I think. What are you considering?
    http://en.item.rakuten.com/menet/sc-pcamp13n/

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

Do you have any evidence for this? I have not heard Apple or any of its engineers say that you shouldn't use a case. Apple even sells the cases on their site.
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/notebook_cases?mco=MTM4Nzc2Mzc

I'm not saying you are wrong. Rather, I seriously would like to know if Apple has said what I am doing will shorten my computer's lifespan, or if that is your opinion.

Maybe. I am more concerned with an unfortunate fall than I am with scratches, to be honest.

5. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

All successful large scale companies like Apple, have internal conflicts between departments, its normal. They are in the business of making money. The engineers would say, no case. The sales and marketing people don't want to hear that. The retail store needs all the profit they can generate. The warranty department only cares that you make it thru the warranty period.

If I told you the level of my education, the fanboys would be jealous and attack like children, calling names and such. Suffice to say I'm a professional in engineering. Why would I care if you fry your computer? But I do and I'm only trying to help.

Look closely and you will see that Apple did not vent it. The heat radiates and is dissipated by the case and thru the keyboard. It's so thin it can barely circulate air. I'm not being critical, its just a fact. Enough said.

Cheers.. :)

6. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

I have the Speck case and it has vents in the bottom just like your case. Only difference I see was price. Speck costs $10-$15 less.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

That's not evidence. It's speculation. I am not faulting your logic. Just pointing out that you have no facts to back it up. If correct, this would be a pretty significant claim.

The professional opinion is very much appreciated! But, regardless of your educational level or expertise (in fact, because of it), I think you'd agree that you need to back up these claims with testing or some other kind of evidence.

Actually, it does have a vent. It is located at the rear of the device between the lid and the main body. As I understand it, they also designed it so that heat would be discharged through the bottom of the device. I also agree that heat is designed to escape through the keyboard and probably out of the ports as well.

Despite the vents in the plastic cases (thanks Jazwire for pointing out the vents in the Speck), I suspect there is considerably less heat escaping than would happen under optimal caseless conditions. HOWEVER, this doesn't mean that the case is pushing heat levels beyond the design parameters and damaging the computer, as you suggested.

I have had the case for several days now. It does feel warmer. But, the fans rarely come on (a couple times earlier today when I did something stupid and managed to beach ball/crash a program). Given its performance so far, I doubt that it is overheating or being damaged.

I am not saying this to suggest any disrespect for your educational level or expertise, or question your goodwill here. I think that it might be better advice, though, to warn people about the risks of doing anything to block the vents or impede heat dissipation from other parts of the computer, especially if they are in a hot location doing intense work (perhaps they should not use the case if they are sitting at the poolside doing video editing of the movies they are taking of the beautiful people there). As long as they pay attention to the machine and make sure it stays relatively cool, then the case is not an issue. If you are inside in an air-conditioned environment, the risk seems quite minimal to me.

8. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I had a plastic case for a while from Speck and I find it's a horrible idea. Dust gets trapped inside the case (which may even cause some scratches) and heat transfer is impeded. Get a sleeve instead to protect your MBP.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a think. Indeed, the case I have has already caused one scratch (I kind of expected that based on comments I read by other people before I bought it), but I am more concerned with protecting it against something more violent. I have a nice sleeve, so I think I am covered there.

As for the heat issue, I haven't had the plastic case long enough to say if it will be a problem or not. I will keep an eye on things. If the computer does seem to be running too hot, then I'll give up on the plastic for the base. I am sure that the summer months will provide plenty of opportunities to test it out. I enjoy working outdoors.