Best Cloning Software for OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NT1440, Aug 15, 2016.

1. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hey guys,

I don't usually create threads here but I have specific question so I figured I'd ask for some suggestions.

I'm looking for software for OSX, available through the app store or otherwise, that can meet the following criteria:

*Copy a Windows hard drive completely to a smaller SSD
    *Doesn't require both drives to be plugged in at the same time (I only have one USB 3 to SATA cable)
    *Costs $50 or under

Any suggestions? I'm not necessarily looking for open source stuff unless it's fully featured, and I'm really not looking for a shady rip off of open source software that a lazy developer just put a GUI on and called it their own.

Thanks!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I'm not sure WinClone can do what you want, however, the new Paragon Hard Disk Manager should be able to although it might be overkill for what you need it for. If you decide the Paragon software will work for you, shop around as it's on sale from several bundlers and discounters.

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Do you have enough space on the internal drive to copy the data on the external to? If not then you can't do it, no software can copy data into thin air, even temporarily. You will need a second USB-SATA cable or another USB drive.

5. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

I have plenty of space on the macbook, I was hoping there was software that would prompt me to plug in a second drive once the first was finished.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Winclone is basically you're only option. I use this and its a good product but if moving it to a smaller (or larger) drive, there are specific steps you need to take before and after the cloning process. Two Canoes (the maker of winclone), detail how to do it.

7. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

Thanks!

Am I correct in assuming I'd need Winclone Standard? ($39.99)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, that's the one I have.

9. NT1440 thread starter macrumors G4

NT1440

Thanks! I'll give it a shot tonight.