Best Closed-Back Circumaural precise headphones.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Victor ch, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Okay, my birthday is close, so I'm starting the research already :p

My current headphones can't seem to fully satisfy me, the Bose QC2's miss the sonic precision and finesse I want and the B&O's are awesome but don't cancel out noise nor reach high SPL without me worrying about my hearing and headphones(I still love 'em and they have their purpose), therefore Im looking for headphones that can come close to my Hi-Fi setup.

So, Im looking for a pair of precise full-sized circumaural cans, something I can listen my Lossless music to and maybe make some music and for practicing with my bass silently. I would go Grado but they're open-back headphones and no matter how sweet they are that's not what Im looking for. I've had a pleasurable experience with M-Audio so I look into their Studiophile Q40's they seem pretty sweet. I've been looking around at Guitarcenter and Muciansfriend and Im leaning forward for the M-Audios. Im aware Beyerdynamics makes pretty sweet cans, same for AKG and Sennheiser (amongst others). P.S If they're sub $200 it would be awesome. If someone owns/have heard the Q40s it would be awesome to read a "mini-review".

Any experiencies and recommendations are much appreciated :D

thanks,
    Victor

2. Victor ch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

No one? C'mmon people :p I know there are a lot of audio enthusiasts in MacRumors that can help me here heheh.

Victor

3. Victor ch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

4. Echoes macrumors newbie

If you could put your hands on a pair of SONY MDR-V7 you'd be pleased. I worked with those for a long time (since 1991). Great bass, cristalline highs, very sensitive and a very good isolation from outside noise. Unfortunately they have been discontinued long ago and replaced with the "flatter" MDR-7506.

While the MDR-V7 are hard to find, the MDR-V6 and the MDR-7506 are still available.

5. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Agreed. The only ones you're going to get that are close-back and circumaural sub 200$ are the MDR-V6s (which I do own as well), note it MAY rest ON your ears instead of around if you have a larger than normal head (not trying to make a joke here, some people have said this).

Before buying however, do a search on the MDR-V6s vs the Sennheiser HD280 pros, those are the only real two competitors on the market for what you're wanting.

6. Victor ch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Thanks but I'm not into Sony I used to have some MDR's (can're remember model but they were like 100$+) and they weren't comfy nor lasting, "good" sounding though but close to the Bose, so yeah I want better.

I doubt the Sony's can match the precision of the M-Audios, and sub $200 there are a lot of other headphones too, AKG, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamics that are far better than Sony. I thought I would get replies of other brands, but thanks a lot. Senn's are way too ugly (not that it matters much, Grados are ugly as hell but they are fantastic sounding) although I've read some positive reviews on the HD280s.

Any more suggestions, Im still leaning towards the M-Audio's, they must be good.

thanks again,
    Victor

7. Victor ch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would say the Sennheisers...def. the most proven and reliable of the three...

9. Victor ch thread starter macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Mkay, fiar enough. I know you own pretty serious stuff (RS-1000's :eek:) so Im taking your guidance quite seriously. OFC my ears are the ultimate judge, but its mom whose going to the states in a couple of weeks and she's the one buying them (she knows nothing about the subject and couldn't care less) so yeah, I can't hear em (perhaps the HD280's, dunno). Thanks man.

Anyone else?

Victor