Best CMS or Good CMS Review Sites?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by palebluedot, Mar 18, 2010.

1. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Before I ask this question I just want everyone to know I have done some extensive Googling on this and found bits and pieces but everything is very sporadic and not totally robust/clear. :D

I just started as a web/social media guy (that is not really my professional expertise but a component of my new job) with a non-profit that is looking to expand their web outreach. Part of my strategy involves updating their painfully old site that is using a proprietary CMS. I am debating between Wordpress and CMS for their new site but I am looking for good comparisons.

I need a CMS to:

Run a blog, a comprehensive main site that can display blog, upcoming events, social media widgets, and have static pages with data. We are also going to create an e-book on our site with data visualzation. So basically, we are hoping to do a lot of stuff with our site.

It seems like Drupal may be the better CMS but Wordpress seems so much faster, cleaner, and easier to manage/update (for when I leave this job).

Does anyone know a good site that can compare these two or have any thoughts on these two?

Thanks!!!

2. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

CMS Watch and CMS Wire are very good sites for CMS related reviews and research.

There was also a pretty healthy debate recently Wordpress as a CMS, which you can hook into from CMS Myths.

And another good article here concerning Wordpess, Drupal and Joomla.

And there's also a CMS Requirements toolkit out there that might help.

3. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I personally would recommend Joomla. I've used it for many of my personal and client sites and have found it to be extremely flexible and easy to work with. There is such a vast array of extensions (mod's) available and the support from the core Joomla team or its myriad of developers is nothing short of fabulous. I've received worst support for products I've paid for!

Others may be quick to point out some of Joomla's security holes but if you do a little Googling on the subject matter and spend a little time hardening your installation (many steps are recommended in the actual installation instructions), you should be just as secure as any other of the CMS' out there.

Feel free to PM me if you want some help putting things together or just want to bounce some ideas off me. GL!

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Try Wordpress. You'll love it.

If it's not quite powerful enough for you, move up to the more comlex, yet more complete CMS such as Drupal or Joomla. Though if you want more powerful, check out Expression Engine - it's got quite a following.