Best College Laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zackkmac, May 1, 2011.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy a MacBook Pro for college. I just sold my iMac for around $900 and I have about ~$550 in savings. On top of that, I will be sending out graduation announcements soon, so I'll be getting more.

My intended major is video production, therefore I will need a pretty powerful notebook. Something that can nicely handle HD video editing and everything that comes with that. I am very familiar with Final Cut Pro, so I would definitely be purchasing that for my Mac.

I have looked at getting a brand new 13" and upgrading the RAM to 8GB and the hard drive to 1TB, or a 500GB SSD hybrid, but I am not sure how I feel about the small size. Though the lighter weight and smaller size gives it more portability, I think it would be too small for what I need.

Therefore, I am hoping to get a powerful 15.4" MBP. But I am not sure about the performance of the range of processors, whether I go with a used one or suck it up and spend all my money on a brand new one. So I'm wanting to know what you guys think. Does the performance of these new i5's and i7's justify buying a brand new one? If I go that route, I will be using the Education Store discount and waiting until the end of the month to get in on the Mac + iPod deal.

But if not, and I go with a used or slightly outdated one, what configuration do you recommend?

Thanks!

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I would get the base 15" with the quad core. The difference between the 2.0-2.3 is marginal compared to the performance gain you would have if you replaced the HDD with an SSD. That's the route I would go. If your going to get 8GB of ram, I'd look at OWC or Newegg. Don't do it through Apple as it is incredibly overpriced.

3. anonymouse99 macrumors regular