Best combination of laptops/specs/peripherals

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iambasil, Jun 28, 2010.

1. iambasil macrumors regular

I need to get a new laptop to add to what I currently own, but will likely need some additional peripherals as I've been struggling to get the home network solution I need. Hope you can help me please...

What I need to have is:
    1) Macbook for the missus (already have)
    2) Xbox 360 (have)
    3) Macbook Pro 15" for me with a fast hard drive >=500GB (HD video editing - that's another problem on macs I won't get into!) (don't have)
    4) All hardware able to access/modify a central data repository wirelessly (don't have)
    5) Wireless music streaming (have through Airport Express)

Currently
    - My macbook has too small a hard drive (60GB) and I use an external WD passport for what I can't fit (movies etc)
    - I've failed trying to connect the Xbox to the wireless network (via Airport Express) as my router (Orange Livebox) doesn't support WDS

So what I've been thinking of is:
    a) Buy a 15" MacBook Pro i7
    b) Buy a TimeCapsule to use as my router and central repository/for backups (hard wired to Orange LiveBox)
    c) Transfer the new 15" MBP harddrive into the old Macbook (shame I can't get the cheaper 320GB with the i7)
    d) Buy the 500GB Seagate Hybrid SSD/HDD for the 15" MBP

I want to be able to access things from either computer, including music - but am worried file management will get very messy/confusing between the 2 laptops and time capsule (and also problems such as music added to a central iTunes library not being picked up by iTunes on the 2nd laptop).

I'd appreciate any thoughts on smarter or cheaper ways of achieving what I've described, and any ideas re: my concerns on file management.

Thanks so much for any help/ideas

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get 500GB 7200rpm HD for your new MBP or even remove the SuperDrive and put 2x500GB or 2x1TB. Just enable file sharing and your other laptop can access its files wirelessly.

You can also buy AirPort Extreme and external USB HD and hook it to the AP Extreme, but it's slower than having internal HDs. It's should be sufficient for movie streaming etc and 3.5" HDs are way cheaper than 2.5"

3. iambasil thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm not sure about the first bit as I'd rather not use the MBP as a server (I'd have to leave it on all the time and would be left with only 60GB in the MacBook offering little flexibility if I need to access data remotely).

Regarding the AirPort Express + 3.5"HD - is that simply to save money on a TimeCapsule or are there other issues? I was wondering if I'd have issues using the TC to back up the laptops as well as using it as a central home server... I'm already getting myself confused with the file management possibilities! :confused: :)

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Time Capsule has issues with its power supply, meaning that there is great possibility that it will fail after 18 months. 1TB TC costs 299$, it's slower as router than AP Extreme is. AP Extreme is 179$, that 130$ gets you 1TB ext HD, almost 2TB. I think it works pretty much like Time Capsule, but the HD is easier to hook directly via USB if needed (partitioning, faster transfer etc).

5. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Your issue with your xbox has to do with the airport express. I had the same problem but then I bought the airport extreme and used the express as a booster and everything works perfectly.