Best combined Keyboard / Mouseball / Trackpad for Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Adamski101, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Adamski101 macrumors newbie

Hi all, I use a Mac Mini (2011) as my HTPC and bought a Toughball 2.4GHZ Wireless Keyboard with Optical Trackball to navigate from my sofa.
    As this is a wireless keyboard (not bluetooth) it's pretty tempramental and ofter missed characters when typing or simply doesn't register if I'm not sat in the right place.
    I want to change this to a Bluetooth keyboard with a built in mouseball trackpad but am struggling to find any decents ones out there ...

Any recommendations?
    Cheers all

2. JammySTB macrumors newbie

It's not bluetooth, but I've heard great things about the Logitech K400.

3. Adamski101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks JammySTB, I was looking at this one and agreed it does have decent reviews and is areasonable price. The problem is that the USB ports are at the rear of the Mac mini so I don't think line of sight reception will be great hence why I'm hoping for a decent BT option.

4. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I just bought the K400 as well, and it's working nicely even plugged into the back USB port on my Mac mini. My house is kinda small, though, so I might not be as far away as you--but if nothing else, perhaps you could get a USB "extension" cable and run it so the receiver faces outwards.

If you want to go really mini, the Orient AK-98UNWL10-BTIP seems to have good reviews on Amazon, but it's a lot smaller. Not sure if there are any affordable, well-working Bluetooth options similar to the K400, but I'd be curious if anyone has any other ideas.

5. Adamski101 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks rMO.

Actually came up with another solution last night ... I've downloaded a paid app called Touchpad £2.50 (iPAD and iPhone app) which connects to the Mac mini via VNC (that's about as technical as I can get).
    Works an absolute treat and much cheaper than a new keyboard but obviously dependant on having a device to run this from. I believe it's available on Andriod devices too but don't quote me on that one ....

6. vandoorn macrumors regular

The thing i use with my HTPC is the Logitech Dinovo Mini.

Amazing thing and with some software you can map all the buttons the way you want! I can't imagine using my HTPC without it :) It's not bluetooth though, but works great!

http://www.dove.co.nz/images/products/5545-017266.jpg