Best compression for 500 photo slideshow?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by brendanryder, May 12, 2009.

1. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

so i have a slideshow in iPhoto of the 500 some kids graduating in my highschool and i need to burn it to a dvd. each slide needs to be played for 4 seconds. so what would be the best option for putting it onto a dvd. i need the best quality possible because there played on like huge 25ft screens.

so which option should i use? photo-jpg, h.264, ntsc dvc pro, etc. i have no idea haha so what compression would be the best option to make the slideshow into a mov format that is sent to DVD studio pro.

thanks

2. greg555 macrumors 6502a

What's the resolution of the projector? Your best bet may be to resize them to that resolution then play with the JPEG quality (compression) until they fit onto your DVD. (I'm assuming you are talking about a data DVD not a regular video DVD. If you are that's a whole 'nother answer.)

Greg

3. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

my bad, should of stated that. it has to be a video DVD aka auto played when inserted into a dvd player. so let hear that whole 'nother answer haha

4. badger.aditya macrumors newbie

badger.aditya

If you work under windows os, it will be ale to burn slideshow to dvd

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

I suggest using FotoMagico to make the slideshow. Keep in mind, if you want it to play on a TV you can't have anything higher than SD resolution ( 720x480 if you live in the USA )

500 pictures for 4 seconds is a half hour... that is not going to take up much space on a single layer DVD. If this is a graduation video and there might be some interest in the actual pictures as well, I suggest making the slide show video and then also including the individual pictures at higher resolution on the DVD-ROM content segment.

6. xStep macrumors 68000

Always mention which version of software you are asking about.

iPhoto 09 has aspect ratio settings for 4:3 and 16:9 for slide shows. These can be exported directly to iDVD via the Share menu. OK it says it can but the file ended up in my "Pictures/iPhoto Sharing" folder instead. I could then drag that into iDVD.

Click on the hierarchy button on the bottom of the iDVD window and you can drag your content into the first box to auto play on insert. So it says. I've never used that.

In the Project menu open "Project Info..." and choose "Professional Quality" for the encoding setting.

Use File-->Save as Disc Image... to create a test burn on your hard drive and play it in DVD Player. This will create the appropriate DVD assets that really get burned to a DVD. You can then use "Burn DVD..." to creat a real one, or Disk Utility to copy the image to a DVD, I think.