best compression for HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MasterPride, Feb 15, 2010.

1. MasterPride macrumors newbie

What are the best compression setting for exporting HD footage. I want to post full HD footage on youtube, but I do not live in a country that really gives its customers a huge bandwidth. I exported 30 seconds of HD footage, and it was 17MB, then I exported something later on and forgot the settings and it came out as 500MB for 1:30. So I'm really wondering what would be the best compression while still keeping the HD quality. Any ideas?

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

With what software are you working, FCE, iMovie, something else?
    Also what is the resolution of the video - 1920 x 1080p/i or 1440 x 1080p/i or 1280 x 720p?

I always export a video with excellent quality settings, using the codec that was used for editing.
    I use Avid Media Composer, so that might differ from your software.

As I edit SD mostly and with DV and DigiBeta material mixed, I export a QuickTime Reference file and then use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the video to a properly encoded format.

When I use the H264 codec (good for YouTube) I always select the MultiPass option, quality is set to 100%, I use the Limit Date Rate option (with which you can control the final file size) and the MPEG-4 AAC audio setting.

[​IMG]

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Slow Internet is the reason I deliberately shoot all my videos in SD - even then a 5-10 minute Youtube movie can end up being on the wrong side of a GB or so. (When I compress stuff at all Im whacking it into Compressor. As spinner asked, what software do you want the settings for).

4. MasterPride thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, sorry about that. I'm using FCP, with full HD 1920x1080i. Yeah, i just have an issue about shooting in SD. I just want the previous settings I had and am having trouble getting just the right quality and size. I don't want to use any 3rd party software because FCP can do it.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If you're using FCP, I'd recommend using Compressor.

Ken Stone has a good tutorial on how to properly encode video for the web:

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/compressor_h-264_movies_fcp.html

To keep the file size down, I'd limit the data rate to 2000-3000 kbits/sec. If you don't set a value, Compressor will make the largest file it can. For a 1:30 video, the file size should fall somewhere between 20-30MB using a 2000-3000 kbit/sec data rate.

6. totoum macrumors member

Could be wrong,but there's no point in setting the quality at 100% if you're going to limit the bitrate,the bitrate you choose is going to determine the quality,you could put the quality slider at 100% or 1% and it wouldn't make a difference.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That sounds logical. So it will do no harm if I let it stay that way anyway.

I will try it with 1% the next time to see if there is a difference.