best compression method/settings in compresso

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by LondonChime, Dec 13, 2010.

1. LondonChime macrumors newbie

Hey friends,
    so I directed a live performance shoot with two cameras ( Canon 7D and 5D) and here's where the fun begins... one of the cameras was set at 30fps and the other at 24fps *sigh* after going ahead with the edit, I have color corrected and exported back to FCP, it's time for compression. What should my settings be (total show time is 90m 1s) for the best quality in the shortest amount of time as I have spent more time than expected due to the frame rate issue.
    a DVD is the goal

Any help would be totally excepted and greatly appreciated!!

2. simsaladimbamba

I have fared well with this (DVD Best Quality 90 minutes):

[​IMG]

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I usually tweak the 90-minute DVD-5 preset to get better output results (such as turning on frame controls for higher-quality downscaling and rate conversion). But you really need a fast machine (like an 8-core) set up with a virtual cluster with QMaster to do this in an acceptable time frame, as it requires considerably more processing to do.

4. hsilver macrumors regular

Best Encoding

If you are working in Pro-Res, I found you get best results with a 3 stage process - 1st make a QT movie. I forgot if self-contained is called for or not. In Compressor encode it to Pro-Res HQ. Set Output in Frame Controls to Progressive, Deinterlacing set to Better and turn off Adaptive Details. In Geometry set Frame SIze to 853 x 480 using Custom 16:9 aspect ratio. Then use one of Compressor's presets to encode the resulting file to mpeg2. The results are far better than the direct way. If you can set up a qmaster batch encode it will go astonishingly fast (for Compressor)