Best Computer for Pharmacy College Student

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by NerdHerd8, Jun 14, 2012.

1. NerdHerd8 macrumors newbie

Hey, I am trying to decide on a new computer. I dont know which ones to get. I am on a limited budget but not hesitant to splurge a little over 1500. I was thinking about getting a 13 inch air or a macbook pro non retina 13 inch. Which config and model would u guys recommend.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

sounds like you will be doing a lot of back and forth with the laptop, so i would go with the 13" air assuming you will be using some programs related to your field and dealing with some documents. You can get the base model with 8 gigs of RAM for around $1300 shipped and a free app store gift card valued at $100.

if you want really portable you can get an 11" with an i7 and 8gb of ram for the same price

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

I am a graduate student who moved from a 13" MBP to an 11" MBA. If I were you, I would not consider the MBP, because the latest refresh was a real disappointment. The resolution stayed the same, you still poke along with a hard drive, and it is way too much power for the kind of stuff you are likely to be doing. What is the point of spending more for less? I love the MBP line, and enjoyed my 2011 model, but there is no way I would recommend anyone purchase the 2012 MBP 13" unless they just absolutely had to have firewire or something like that.

Anyhow, if you could give everyone a better idea of other stuff you have (iPad?) and stuff you use (Pages, PDFS?), how much data you have (10GB, 100GB?), and how you intend to use it (carry to classes, use only at home?), then they could give you specific advice.

4. NerdHerd8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just brought a 16gb ipad 3rd gen early this year, i am using it mostly for school work and surfing the web. I have an external 1tb harddrive where i have my movies and etc. Also i might want to stick my music on my computer which is like around 5 gb so far. I use word, powerpoint, excel and PDF. also this would be to class and at home and getting work done at starbucks and other places

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

personally, if using excel and powerpoint i would want the bigger 13" screen

6. NerdHerd8 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats what i am thinking of getting. if the retina macbook pro wasnt so expensive i definetly get that but i have no money for that

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

You might want to consider an alternative: you could get an external keyboard (for the grand total of $69) and do all of your work on the iPad (Pages, Keynote, and Numbers). That's what I do, and I use the 11" MBA to pick up the slack: complex spreadsheet work, PDF OCR, etc. Not much point in getting the 13" for the kind of work you are doing, especially if you are on a tight budget. Not only that, but with the MBA, it will fit into a tiny man bag together with the iPad and external keyboard (I use the Waterfield Vertigo). It sure beats having a backpack.

8. NerdHerd8 thread starter macrumors newbie

i thought about it but i'm so use to use a laptop/ desktop to type up all my lab reports and papers on. I mostly use the ipad to read textbooks as well