Best Computer Speakers Under $300

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tktaylor1, Mar 29, 2011.

1. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I am in college right now and i want some good speakers to hook up to my laptop. I want something that has good bass and is pretty loud. I don't really want to spend a whole lot of money at the moment that is why there is a limit because I know they can get expensive pretty fast. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

M-AUDIO AV 40's
    $149 - Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studi...XJCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301440266&sr=8-1

$159 @ Guitar Center with $20 off (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Promos/ClaimDiscountCoupon.aspx?pid=2790)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/M-Audio...e-Speaker-System---pair-104302922-i1322223.gc

Some of the best over all speakers I've used for my desktop, I like them. theyre loud enough but most importantly accurate with audio, theyre not going to be uber ridiculously bass heavy (which is a waste of good speakers if theyre just cranked up on bass anyway).

I dont think you'll be disappointed with these.

3. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Do yourself a favor and checkout AudioEngine. The best small speakers you can get. Very high quality components and the enclosures are very nice too.

I have the 5s which are a powered speaker...they run $350. The equivalent...as a passive speaker is their 4s...which run $250. They also make a smaller speaker...the 2s which are $200.

I have a pair of the 5s in bamboo ($450)...very nice...and I just recently bought the S8 powered subwoofer for $350...and I couldn't be happier. I use the setup in my bedroom and it puts out a strong...clean...sound...that I'd put up against any $2000 system. Even without the woofer the 5s have plenty of bass...so if you can squeeze out a little more dough...try them out. You can readily find 10% off coupons for Audioengine on the web.

They are awesome speakers...no doubt. They also offer 30-day trials for there speakers.

Added: I see you mentioned for your laptop. So you'll want to checkout the 2s and 5s as they are powered speakers.

http://audioengineusa.com/

4. tktaylor1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Thanks guys for the replies and also can these work with a tv as well because i will use my tv as an external monitor.

5. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

What do you guys think of the Bose companion 3 set?

6. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

Unless you plan on using a receiver/amp with the TV...you will need powered speakers. Audioengine has two models available as I mentioned.

7. dz1, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2011

dz1 Guest

I would go with the Monitor Audio i-Deck. Despite them being discontinued they are still probably the best 2.0 computer speakers for under $300. They are better than the AV40 IMO. I've owned both. The constant humming and exaggerated bass on the AV40 were too much for me to put up with. No such problems with the i-Deck.

I haven't owned the Audioengine A5, but in a review on Macworld they gave the i-Deck the same rating as those ones while also noting that the i-Deck had better treble detail. I've never owned a speaker with better highs than the i-Deck, although i think the bass on the A5 will go deeper than both the i-Deck and the AV40.

I paid £30 in the UK for a used pair in good condition. Compare that with what they are charging for the AV40 and A5 and the choice suddenly becomes clear.