Best Computer Speakers

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by pureelite1, Mar 3, 2011.

1. pureelite1 macrumors member

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread, but i am looking for the best possible computer speakers for my 27" Imac that delivers superb bass and clarity for movies/games/music. Has to be surround sound, any help will be appreciated budget up to $500

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

For $500 you can get into some really nice speakers. In fact, for that kind of money you can probably get a small home theater setup that will absolutely rock.

What kind of audio output does your computer have?

3. FroColin macrumors regular

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/359210-REG/Logitech_970115_0403_Z_5500_5_1_505.html
    I have always really wanted these. They are apparently very good and I had a friend who had the worse version of these and they sounded awesome so I can't imagine these would be bad. But look into the outputs of your iMac, I think your 3.5mm jack will do 5.1 but you want to look into that to be sure and see if whatever system you end up going with will take that. You make have to use some workarounds. Or get some kind of cheap audio interface that serves as an optical digital audio out vi USB or something

4. FroColin macrumors regular

5. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

My Imac has Headphone/optical digital audio output (minijack) and also to the person above me, those are not SURROUND SOUND. I am specifically looking for the best surround sound experience for my movie/gaming/music experience

6. getheledout macrumors member

If you're looking for a surround system that would be ideal for your iMac, I would look more into the home theater segment and see which of those systems at $500 (and lower) would be most compatible with your setup.

The bose companion 5 system (although is only a 2.1 system) has it's own digital-analog converter and tries to simulate a 5.1 system. Just my 0.02. :)

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I use the Logitech Z-5500's. Buy an optical TOSLINK to mini-TOSLINK cord, and you're all set. Shop around - I got mine from Dell for about $240 a few years back.

One minor caveat, the subwoofer is quite large - make sure you have enough space under your desk for it! :cool:

8. bluap84 macrumors 6502

i got some of the old BOSE pc speakers with the sub woofer. Which are awesome. Maybe look at getting the update set of speakers

9. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking of getting the Logitech Z-5500s, but why would u need a different cord, i thought you could connect it into the audio output jack on the Imac?

10. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

The Logitechs that have been recommended a few times here would be a very solid choice. Klipsch makes a set that is comparable and I think sound better called the Promedia 5.1's. Honestly, the Klipsch are a bit of a cult classic. They have superb sound and a very solid design. I own a set and I'm quite happy. They last forever if you don't abuse them with insane volume levels.

For what its worth, the Logitechs have just been updated to this model: Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z906. They are not available just yet but I expect them to be pretty solid.

As far as Bose goes, there are a lot of people who think they are the best but they don't tend to get very good reviews from people who really know sound. The best I can say is that you should listen to them yourself and decide for yourself. Personally I like the way their headphones sound and thats about it. My father in law on the other hand owns 3 different models and will buy pretty much anything that says Bose on it.

11. getheledout macrumors member

You don't necessarily need a toslink mini-jack to toslink cable unless you plan on outputting to an optical input.

Also, you can't go wrong with Klipsch's Promedia systems.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You necessarily need to use the optical port to get 5.1 surround, unless you buy an external sound card.

13. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yes, thats true.

14. getheledout macrumors member

You got me there.

15. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

16. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

sound like warm dog poop.

17. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

THANK YOU, i never even knew about this update and i tried out the Logitech Z5500's and absolutely loved them but was reluctant to buy them due to the design and how old they were. Finally an updated version i'll most likely be picking the Z906 up as soon as they are available. Are they compatible with a mac? and any idea of the release date in Canada?

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

They're speakers - no drivers required, so they're Mac compatible. :cool:

19. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Glad to help. And like the man said, no drivers required. All I'm gonna say is you should listen to the Klipsch before you spend that money on the Logi's. You'll be surprised how accurate the Klipsch's sound is. Really first rate.

20. blunti macrumors 6502a

the downside of these is the bunch of cords imo. I would prefer wireless. I do like the digital connectivity on it though.

21. pureelite1 thread starter macrumors member

I've heard the Logitech Z 5500's base n i found it really loud and booming, are the Klipsch's base the same quality?

22. ChrisA macrumors G4

I assume you really mean the "best within a $500 budget." as the "best" will cost a lot more than $500.

You have competing goals. The best $500 speakers for music will be a pair or studio monitors on short stands. These will sound very good. But it you need surround sound for moies then your per-speaker price and quality goes down dramatically and your stereo music listening suffers.

One why out of this is the buy a pair of "decent" stereo speakers to replace the front left and right speakers from a cheap 5.1 system.

f you want a specific recomendation, M-Audio BX5a make pretty good "computer speakers and fit in your budget. But I have little interrest in movie sound tracks

23. ChrisA macrumors G4

This was about what I was thinking when I said buy a cheap 5.1 system (like the above) and then for stereo music listening do a serious upgrade to the front speakers like going to the Bx5a or something like those. Total price will be still around your $500 limit When you are done you will have in effect two systems but you want the system to be good for two conflicting uses.

24. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Klipsch reviews stated that their subwoofer was actually more boomy than the Logitech. Also note, you can turn down the subwoofer, but even with mines on full, I've never found it an issue.

Only problem is you may have to search CL or eBay. I got mines retail from newegg for $250 but they jacked it back to $350 (still cheaper than the $499 retail tag from Logitech). I've had mines for almost 3 years and still going strong.