Best configuration for having zero noise

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sensamic, May 9, 2010.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hi everyone.

I want to buy a new Mac computer. Ive always had very silent laptops and thats what I like. No noises. I need a quiet room to work in. So, in the last months I had 4 imacs 27. They were all VERY NOISY. Hate it. Really hate it. Couldnt concentrate. So I was thinking of buying an SSD, which are completely silent. The problem is its very hard to put an SSD in the imac 27. So I thought of buying the new macbook pro and a monitor, probably the led cinema display. Now, the problem seems people have weird noises on their led cinema displays: http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1858815&tstart=0&start=45

So now Im afraid of buying the led cinema display and having this issue. So I want to ask you all what is the best configuration for having a quiet computer on my room? I want zero noises. If I have to buy a SSD, Ill buy it.

Is it best to put an SSD on the macbook pro or on the imac? Which one would be quieter? What about the led cinema display? Does it really make noise?

I really need to know exactly what to do and what to buy.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Hard drive noise is minimal compared to fan noise. If you want a totally silent computer, build your own and design your own "silent" cooling system. The current line of Macs is not going to be silent.

3. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Fan noise actually doesnt bother me at all. What I dont like is the hd noise. Thats why Im looking to buy an SSD. And I want a Mac.

More advices?

4. Christina1971 macrumors regular

Wow, I was assuming you were talking about fan noise as well. I also hate it, but I've had to acknowledge it as the price of doing business if you're doing a lot of processor-intensive activities on a laptop. I always assumed that a desktop would be fairly noise-free.

But you're saying you heard a lot of hard drive noise with the iMac 27? Huh. Guess I'll cross that one off the list.

5. Jamo12 macrumors regular

Jamo12

I have a 15" MBP and I rarely can hear anything except for fans. If you really want silent then just get a SSD inside whatever MBP you want and you'll be set for whatever noise may come your way.