Best Configuration for Silence

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sjclarkey, Dec 4, 2015.

1. sjclarkey macrumors newbie

Hi

I have just bought the following iMac config:

3.2GHz Processor
    1TB Storage

• 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
    • Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    • 8GB (two 4GB) memory, configurable up to 32GB
    • 1TB Fusion Drive1
    • AMD Radeon R9 M390 with 2GB video memory
    • Retina 5K 5120x2880 P3 display
    However, the noise coming from it is really bugging me. I also have a MacBook Pro with a SDD which is silent until the fans pump up when needed but this new iMac is constantly making a whooshing sound which is audible when sitting at my desk with no sound in the room. I was told by the Apple salesman that they run silent so I am very disappointed. The fans are running at 1200rpm and I have tried playing around with fan apps to see if it is the fan noise but am guessing it is the HD spinning. Would getting a SSD be quieter or a different config improve the noise? I expected to hear a little noise if I put my ear right up to the screen but not as much as I am getting. Does the HD constantly spin?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Quick answer is the HD is spinning and the head is moving. It's also putting out more heat than an SSD would and raising the average fan speed.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

yeah, I'd vote for an SSD, if you're looking for a dead silent iMac.

4. jgo78 macrumors 6502

yes, if u wanted silent, you made a mistake by not getting SSD

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All things being equal, though, I do find my iMac (with a 2TB Fusion drive) very quiet. I barely hear anything but as as I mentioned dead silent, a SSD is your answer :)

6. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

If you don't need much performance, your best bet is (preferably 2nd gen) MacBook + large display. That's the only complete silent Mac ever. No moving parts at all

If you need a lot of performance. Mac Pro is in general much quieter than iMac

If you want iMac. Yeah ssd reduces some noise