Best configurations for SSD + Optibay HDD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrat93, Jun 22, 2012.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I just installed my stock 750GB HDD in an optical drive bay in my 15" MacBook Pro. I previously replaced the stock drive with a 240GB OCZ Vertex III SSD.

Currently, my SSD is partitioned as 200GB Mac OS X Extended Journaled, and 40GB NTFS for my Windows partition.

I own a bunch of games in Windows. Previously, I stored their data on an external hard drive formatted as exFAT for easy switching between OS X and Windows with large file sizes. Would there be any downsides of keeping the whole internal HDD formatted as exFAT?

Also, is there a way to be sure that I'm getting the best possible performance out of my SSD? I know there are some issues with third party SSDs put in Macs with out configuration sometimes.

I'd appreciate any suggestions! :)

2. erphan macrumors newbie

Welcome to the SSD family! I use a 120gb Vertex III and I love it.

Regarding your first question, I can't particularly think of any reason why keeping it formatted as exFAT would be problem.

About the Vertex III, I didn't tweak a single thing for the performance of my SSD and I've been using it for the past 11 months. I haven't seen any significant drop in performance nor boot times either. I think that you'll get the best performance leaving it the way it is.

3. sieken macrumors newbie

I agree completely. Enjoy the best notebook configuration available!

4. Sairo macrumors regular

Sairo

I dont mean to bash in ON your topic but Im Im wondering. Is it better to have the SSD in the original HD space or in the optibay?