Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rb24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
For various applications need a reasonably performing Windows machine. Windows 11 on Parallels / Apple silicon doesn't run much. Bootcamp on my 2016 MBP is getting a little old (not to mention the butterfly keyboard!). So was wondering if I got a Mini PC (equivalent of Mac Mini) what software / network connection would give the best user experience for using the keyboard and screen of my M1 MBP 16inch to control it. (I've only ever used VNC and that was years ago.)

ckuwajima

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2023
I would recommend Microsoft Remote Desktop. It is not the safest, therefore not recommended for access across WAN/Internet, but gives the best experience.

Reactions: rb24

rb24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
I would recommend Microsoft Remote Desktop. It is not the safest, therefore not recommended for access across WAN/Internet, but gives the best experience.

So, a Fanless Mini PC (there seem to be lots), ethernet adapter and Microsoft Remote Desktop.... Seems like a good idea. Am I missing something?

ckuwajima

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2023
Make sure that the Mini PC (or a full blown Windows Workstation) meets all requirements to run your applications, including Graphics Acceleration.

rb24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Make sure that the Mini PC (or a full blown Windows Workstation) meets all requirements to run your applications, including Graphics Acceleration.

Thanks. Since the closest I've come to owning a PC is a virtual environment, you are right, had better really think this through: there are no sliders to add cores!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.