Best "Contact" Software - Help me get off XP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ArthurDaley, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ArthurDaley macrumors regular

So after a decade of Vaio's (nice hardware) and now being sick of XP (and not liking the sound of Vista) I plan to get a MBP soon.

One of the most important things for me is my "contacts"/address book. I need software than can be on the desktop and can be used on a handheld. So the combo I have been using is Palm Desktop (now getting very dated) and a Palm device. Is there something better on the Mac? Preferably I'd like something which can let me store lots of details (like Skype ID) and makes notes against contacts time stamped (so if I call someone, I can make a quick note of what was said).

2. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I know it sounds stupid, but OSX as a whole I find is useful for me.

Address book is very flexible; it allows me to add as many fields to contacts cards as I like.

iCal manages all my appointments, sends reminder emails, alerts me to people's birthdays and other events, all that. I like using Data Detecors in Mail...

Speaking of Mail, it ties everything together nicely, too.

So, instead of any specific apps, I find different parts of OSX work together very nicely to do everything I need (ymmv).

3. ArthurDaley thread starter macrumors regular

Two questions - one people ask me for a contact's phone number say, I don't want to always open up the laptop, but it does not seem their is a handheld (like the Palm) that syncs to OSX to give you handheld contacts/calendar etc?

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

My cell (Verizon MotoRAZR V3m) syncs my contacts with Address Book on my MacBook. The iPhone is of course really well integrated. MissingSync apparently works well for WinMo phones, and Palm Desktop works in OS X last I heard.

5. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi!

iSync is the synchronization utility that comes with Mac OS X. It can synchronize your calendars and contacts. Please take a look at Apple's iSync page to find a compatible handheld device.

For setting up iSync please read this post over at Mac Kindgarten.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert