Best converter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rye9, Sep 20, 2007.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Before anyone tells me to search, I'll let you know I have, but I can't really find an answer to my question... which is what is the preferred iPod video converter... iSquint, or Handbrake? I've never had a video iPod before, but I'm getting the new nano in less than a week, and I think to make use of the video feature I'll put on some Family Guy DVD's of mine. I understand Handbrake does ripping and converting, or I can use Mactheripper and iSquint. So how do these apps break down and compare?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The less conversions steps the better in terms of time and quality.

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Also, as iSquint hasn't been updated in a long time, would the settings be optimal for the 3G nano? If not, what should I adjust the settings to? Does (Mactheripper + iSquint) and Handbrake allow me to put individual episodes on? Like, I don't want to have one huge video file I mean.

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I just used for the very first time today iSquint and its great. It gets the job done. I transfred a few movies to my girlfriends iPod and it worked like a charm.

6. DaMob macrumors member

I know this is a huge bump, but hey you can't complain I'm not searching!

I have the same question, but 3 years later and for an iPod Touch.
    I'm using VisualHub at the moment, but I'm just wondering if there is any program that does the job faster? 5 minutes for a 20 minute episode is a bit too long for me.
    Or are there any settings which can speed up the process a lot?

Thanks!

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So, what Mac do you have and how fast is it?

Have you tried MacTheRipper, RipIt or FairMount in combination with Handbrake?
    I assume you want to transcode DVD video to an iPod Touch, Handbrake has a setting for that.

And five minutes for 20 minutes of video is too long for you?
    That would mean it takes 15 minutes for one hour of video.

When I had an iBook it took me 8 hours and more to transcode a two hour movie, so your time looks quite good.

With Handbrake you can even make queues, so it will do one episode after another and can run overnight or while you do other stuff.

8. DaMob macrumors member

It's a 2.2ghz Core2Duo

It's long in the sence that I decide which episodes I'm going to watch when I'm going to bed, so if I want to watch 3 episodes it takes me 15 minutes.

I'll try the ones you have posted, thanks!