Best cooling device for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arkanok, May 17, 2008.

1. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I'm sure burried in these forums somewhere is a thread or two about this, but I'm at work, so i don't really have all the time in the world to sort through, and find my answer.

So my question is this: When I decide to play a game (not very frequently) of some sort on my MacBook Pro, it's a very known fact that these computers get very hot, and it makes me wonder if it'll damage the innards of my computer.

Having said that, I'm sure that quite a few of you forum goers have purchased some sort of cooling device -- such as a cooling pad -- for your laptop. What I'm looking to know is, with so many of them out there, and hearing that some are absolutely worthless, I was wondering if anybody here can tell me which ones are the best to be used with a MacBook Pro.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

A laptop stand is all you need, search the forums, there are tons of discussions about it. You should get an external keyboard tho.

I've been heavily gaming on my MBP for 10 months now (over 100 days play time in WoW over the last three years..)and it runs several degrees cooler in the stand than flat on the desk.

Never had any issues even I've had sessions of 5-6 hours earlier.

3. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Thanks for the info, but can I ask, which stand do you use? Can you maybe post a link or something so I can check it out? Thanks

4. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

6. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Yeah that looked like a good product; however, I don't really plan on hooking up a keyboard to my computer, I would much rather just use the built in one, and that product elevates the computer to the point where you need a keyboard.

I guess I prefer the idea of something that only elevates it slightly, and cools directly underneath the computer.

7. Arkanok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I could turn the fan speeds up, but I do most of my gaming in windows, and I don't know of any apps that let me control the fan speed on my mbp.

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Use smcfancontrol (a program for OS X). You set the RPM is OS X, when you restart into Windows, the fan speed will still be set.

9. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

10. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The one im using requires an external keyboard, so i'm guess its not what you look for. It's a MacAlly iceStation, which I think is discontiued

12. jmmm macrumors newbie

13. usfscaptain14 macrumors newbie

I feel like an ASS! This is my first Mac and i may have messed it up. I have been using it on my lap with pillow's and laying it on my bed. I thought it was good to go. but i found it getting really hot. last night i was Ripping and watching a movie at the same time i had it on the couch and it froze up. I did a restart and no problem. Did i do any damage? is there a way to find out myself? I just downloaded smcfancontrol. what is the optimal operating temp?
    At what temp. in F should i turn on the smc?

Thanks

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've been using it on my pillow for a while too; just don't block the vents; and I use a Griffin Elevator as well.

15. TheJayWay macrumors member

I think you'll be fine. I regularly see mine going upwards of 80C when doing some hardcore encoding. I've had mine into the shop curious of this very issue and I've been told mines fine. From what I remember as well, there are certain built-in hardware safeguards that should cut in before you reach melt-down. Mine usually idles about 45C so nothing too bad.

One tip I have for those that are a little technical minded, is CLEAN YOUR VENTS!! I was doing some work inside mine replacing a fan and I noticed how full my heat vents were of dust and lint and such. I cleaned both fan ducts out and the lappy now runs 5-10 degrees cooler just from that!

16. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

The iLap is by far the best approach to this, as far as I'm concerned. I was worried about the price, but after I got it the function and quality immediately convinced me it was money well spent.

MacDann

17. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

I imagine the effects of a stand with external cooling are minimal. Frankly, cooling the outside of the case is a drop in the bucket compared to what is already getting heated up on the inside. The big thing is just making sure the vents are unobstructed.

And unless you're OCing the comp, a bit of heat shouldn't do any damage. Should stay within parameters and the internal fan control. Your computer would crash or shut down before anything catastrophic occurs afaik.

18. billmister macrumors 6502

ilap does it for me. I love it!.. Only downfall is that it's a little hassle taking it with you to places so i leave it home.. BUT it's ok to take to another country just not everywhere you bring your laptop