Best couch computer? 11" or 13" ? (to compliment iPad)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sofakng, May 5, 2014.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

I'm using an iPad Air and really enjoy it, but I'm often limited by what it can do and would like a "full computer" to use on the couch.

I already have a dedicated gaming computer, so this laptop would only be used on the couch and possibly outside on the front porch or on the table in our patio.

It will never be used for serious work but just to surf the web, play some light indie games that work on the couch (with a trackpad), etc.

The 13" has a much better screen but it seems so big and bulky compared to the 11", but the 11" is a bit tiny when placed on a lap and viewed "far away".

Any opinions?

2. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

My Post from another thread:eek:

Obviously you and I are very different:

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I switched from a 13" 2011 MBA to an 11" 2013 MBA and couldn't be happier. You might not think so by looking at the specs, but the 11" model is so much nicer to carry around or travel with. I find the screen to be a great size for a personal movie player.

I got the i7/8gb/512gb model and it's my primary computer, connected to a big screen and keyboard for serious work. I don't play games, but the MBA is plenty powerful to run software like Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro.

Never was interested in the iPad so I can't comment on the differences.

4. sofakng thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice.

I can't decide between the 11" and 13" because I won't really be traveling at all, unless that means moving around the house from the front porch, to the couch, to the back patio. :)

5. rewardsguy macrumors newbie

For your usage I would recommend the 11". I personally went with the 13" because this is my only computer. The smaller form factor is conducive for lap use, easier to hold one-handed, and more portable if you're going to be moving it around the house frequently. I'm thinking about picking up an 11" Chromebook for this very purpose.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Yes, having owned both, IMO the 11" is better for this. Especially nice for watching movies in bed (by yourself or with company) :)

7. ELYEN01 macrumors newbie

I also have both the 11" and 13", I would preferred the 11" for not so serious tasks. :)

8. phositadc macrumors 6502

Best couch computer? 11" or 13" ? (to compliment iPad)

I'd recommend the 11 for a couch computer.

9. sostoobad macrumors regular

I have had both at the same time and the 11" is just so cool and is better for the couch thing. I sold it and kept the 13" as I needed the bigger screen for other things BUT I am planning to get another when funds are free, I like them both very much, and I agree with a poster above about the i pad, I don't think it compares at all, it is cheaper but the Airs are worth the money.

10. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

11. Khabbi macrumors member

I've owned a 13" MBP, then 15" MBP, and an iPad. I recently bought a 11" MBA and I absolutely love it and I'm glad I picked it over the 13"- I use it for carrying around the house, on the patio, and of course I plan on using it while traveling.

I have always said, if you want/need a 13", I'd just go with the 13" MBP, it's not much thicker and you can have the retina screen. The 11" fits a niche market that no other apple machine covers.

12. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

I'm test driving an 11" Air right now, as an alternative to an iPad, to go with my 13" Air. The form factor is really nice and it's perfect for couch browsing. Youtube, web, twitter, email, etc...

13. phositadc macrumors 6502

So you might own both an 11" and 13" air simultaneously? I'm all for tech, but that seems a bit overkill :p

14. ItHurtsWhenIP, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014

ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

LOL, that's why it's a test drive.

However, it was less than $700 with tax thanks to Best Buy's student discount which is about $100 less than a 128gb iPad and only $100 more than a 32gb version...so not so much overkill when thought of like that, in my opinion anyway..

Not to mention, if you add in the cost of a case and keyboard the price of the 32gb is even closer to the MBA's..

15. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

That's what she said!

16. g.t. rags macrumors regular

i just picked up a 13 inch air to use... gonna sell my old 09 pro and hopefully recoup some cost.

my iPad has become more of a toy and personal planner, the 13 inch is much easier to browse the web and work off of. and i can still travel with my iPad and mba and not really have a weigh issue

i love the light weight aspect of this thing as well

17. SusanK macrumors 68000

11 inch is a great couch, recliner, porch computer. Mine is only on a flat surface when it is charging or not in use. I love the size!

I agree that the iPad is an amazing device but I always want a Mac too. Sometimes I have them both going at once, side by side.

18. g.t. rags macrumors regular

i do this all the time as well.... well at least with my macbook pro or my desktop

19. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

13". Bigger screen, plus it's 16:10 ratio which is perfect as opposed to the daft 16:9 on the 11".

Why buy 11" to use on the couch? The screen is barely larger than an iPad Air, so if you are going to buy something to compliment an iPad then why not get something bigger instead of virtually the same size?

20. nando4 macrumors regular

13" MBA gets better battery life than the 11" MBA (smaller battery) or 13" rMBP (higher consumption due to retina screen and faster CPU).

So if want longest time on the couch without replugging then get the 13" MBA.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm one of those who has had both an 11" MBA and a 13" MBA (both maxed out) at the same time. For travel, couches, portability, and sheer convenience, there is nothing which comes near the 11" MBA. It is a superb machine.

Frankly, having had an iPad (very nice) I found that I used the 11" far more, and that it was a lot more flexible and productive in what it could do.

To the OP, I'd recommend an 11" for what you say you need it for.

22. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Are you planning on keeping the iPad after buying the MacBook Air? I would think they have a lot of overlap in your use niche and am wondering how you would fit both of them in there...

23. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

From my personal experience, traveling around can certainly mean from room to room. I think the 11" Air is easier to carry around the house and just nicer to use anywhere. But that is just my opinion, what I would recommend doing is go to the Apple Store or Best Buy and try out each model----I have never owned something larger than 11" so it feels fine for me, but if you're used to a larger screen 11 may feel too small. You should be able to get a good feel for which size you prefer in the store.

----------

I agree with you there----the 11" is an awesome machine for convenience, and for use on couches, in bed, on a desk next to books, etc. The form factor is seriously amazing.