Best Current Hard Drive for Backups?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kiki61, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Kiki61 macrumors newbie

Looking to get a new hard drive for my backups, and was wondering which drives/makers are recommended. It's been awhile since I've kept up with the latest in hard drives, so I was curious as to which current brands I should look at, and which ones I should avoid.

2. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

My personal preference are the G-Tech, Seagate or Promise. Seagate is the most reasonable price of the three. I am currently using all three types and have been for years. So far I have never had one fail and one of my G-Techs is going on 7 years now. G-Tech & Promise are expensive, but I always say you pay for what you get.

4. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I have had good luck with drives from OWC and LaCie.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Every drive company out there has either been purchased or merged with Western Digital or Seagate, so most any drive you buy will have one of those (or a subsidiary company) drives inside. One is really no better than the other. Just grab whichever WD or Seagate 3.5 inch USB3 drive you can get the best price on in the size you want. Just plug it in and format to HFS+ on your Mac, and off you go.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Agreed weaselboy, it really makes no difference these days I always like a WD passport myself but it really doesn't matter.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Whichever brand and size you buy, there is always the possibility that the drive will die. I would never depend on a single external drive for backup. The safe thing is to have more than one copy, preferably two, with one offsite. You can't have too many backup drives.

8. JamesPDX macrumors 65816

JamesPDX

And when the internal drive dies, replace it with an HGST Ultrastar, or whatever's better in time of need. But how much space are we talkin' here? If you only need 250GB or so, and your internet connection is beefy, I'd go with a paid cloud-based storage.

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I buy the raw drive from Western Digital and the case from OWC.