Best Curry Powder (US)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Ugg, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So, for the last year and a half or so, I've been trying to follow Michael Pollan's advice and only cook with real food. One thing I really like is curry, however, many of the sauces available locally, are high in fat or salt or both. What I've tried so far are Trader Joe's and Costco's.

Yesterday I bought some organic Curry powder in bulk from the local natural food store and for comparison, a small can of "Sun Brand, Madras Curry Powder." The bulk curry powder was sort of bland and the Sun Brand has an insane amount of salt in it. So, I'm looking for something that's low in salt or no salt, tasty and preferably, organic. Looking on the internet, I came across the following brands, "Simply Organic", "Morton and Bassett", and spicesinc.com.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Favorites? Indian grandmothers I could ask for advice:D

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

We have japanese curry all the time at my house. Its been a while since I've had indian curry, is it more spicy?

3. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm really somewhat of a novice to curry. I've never had japanese curry, although I have had Thai curry. In the US, I've had curry at Indian restaurants, but never had real, home cooked curry. In England, I've only had curry take away. I'm very much open to being educated.

4. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Why not just experiment with some spices? Turmeric, garam masala, cumin, coriander, red chili powder... some Jamaican all spice, if you wish for that Jamaican flavor.

Those are common spices I use when making some Indian dishes and curries.

You could also look online for Jamaican curry powders. Probably much easier for you. Jamaican curries have a little bit different spice mix, but its delicious too.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've been having S&B Sauce mix, its not organic but I like it. Indian curry may have more of a curry taste which is to say it has more cumin? not sure.

6. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's a great idea, thanks! All I need to buy is the garam masala and the Jamaican allspice.

Cool, I'll see if I can find it online. I'll do a taste test and see if I can figure out all the regional differences.

7. pooryou macrumors 65816

pooryou

garam masala is better anyway, if you want a bunch of turmeric you can add it yourself

8. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

+1. Japanese curry has plenty of flavour but the spiciest is about equivalent to a medium indian / thai curry.

I make katsu curry when I have a craving which is a breaded pork steak covered with a beef and mushroom Japanese curry. I used to eat it once or twice a week when living in Tokyo.

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I just go to the Indian store and pick up whatever they have for sale. It was good enough for my mom and all her friends back in the day, I figure it is good enough for me. I've never bothered to look at brands, but I suspect it will probably be a Deep or Mothers item, only because they make everything.

I don't know what salt content is though. You'd have o go to the Indian store to check it out.

10. RudyGrow macrumors regular

11. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Try the British section of local grocery stores or farmer's markets. That's where I get mine.

(Indian is huge in the UK, btw. It's as popular as Mexican is in the US.)

12. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Wrong lol there is Chinese/Mexican/Latin/Indian and Israeli.
    At least in the L.A area..

13. Surely Guest

Surely

What is he wrong about?:confused:

You can find some interesting stuff at Cost Plus World Market.....

14. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

This is great, I knew I could count on the MR diaspora to help me out! I'm going to Cost Plus World Market today and ordered some Patak's too, so now I have about 5 different kinds of curry powder/sauce/paste. I'll try to find a couple more and report back with my findings.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

If you're lucky, the Cost Plus you're going to will have Coffee Crisp chocolate bars. If you've never tried one, I highly recommend it. Also, they carry HP Steak Sauce.... it's the same idea as A1, but much better.

16. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Well, I must remember not to move to LA then. :p

Seriously though, I've found curry sauces (often Patak's) in British sections of mainstream US grocery store chains in: NY, NJ, FL, OH, GA. Maybe it's an east-coast thing? I even found it in a GA Wal-Mart a few years back when they were trying to tweak their merchandise upmarket. Regrettably, it didn't last.

As Surely mentioned, Cost Plus is a safe bet too, although they can be pricey. Moving onto candy, I'm not sure what "Coffee Crisp" is but "Toffee Crisp" is something we specifically have friends and relatives bring over when they're visiting. "Crunchie" bars are neat too if you need a sugar high - just not very Indian, I'm afraid. :)

17. crunkcrumpet macrumors member

When I lived in Georgia (I'm originally from the UK), we used to go to Harry's Farmers Market (around Marietta way I think?), and they used to sell loads of English stuff. I'm not sure if they sold curry sauce, but they did sell chocolate and beans.

Homemade curry is probably the best bet, try googling recipies for korma, madras, jalfrezi, and marsala :).