Best Custom CMS

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by norby500, Nov 29, 2008.

1. norby500 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of any real good cms systems with good forum/pm, news/archive/search features etc? not looking for a freeware one, more of a paid...any suggestions? like the system on www.neverside.com

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Wordpress and Drupal are the big two that comes to mind. Drupal is opensourse and free unsure about Wordpress.

That Site you linked clams to use something called NetherAPI which i can only guess is custom built for that site, it seems very slow at generating the page or it may just be the page is to graphic heavy but i run on a 20 Mb connection, though there is mention of a server upgrade.

3. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I'm sold on Wordpress. It's extremely customizable and there are plenty of plugins for it that add all kinds of features to it.

However, typo3 is the better choice for very large (eCommerce) sites.

Both are Open Source.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

@babyjenniferLP:

Might be your connection as the site and graphics loaded very quickly for me and also reported in the footer in terms of server rendering time (FYI):

Their API is likely Drupal now. It was apparently formerly customized "in house", based on this circa 2006 community news page:

That was 2 years ago so it's a safe bet they've migrated since.

@OP:

Drupal is my suggestion as well overall for feature quality and plugin selection, WordPress is #2 if the primary focus of the site is blogging or syndication plus you want other integrated features too.

-jim

5. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

my time was
    . but it still felt rather slow.