best data recovery software for OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ekk20, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ekk20 macrumors member

Hi guys... so finally my mid2007 intel core iMac's hdd failed.

Any experts out there have experience with data recovery softwares compatible with OSX? Which one works best? I was looking into Virtual Lab, according to CNET, it's a highly regarded data recovery software, but figured I should ask here before I try using it. At $100/gb recovery rates I find it a bit steep.. I'd rather just pay for a software right out the door.

I have a very important assignment due tomorrow and iMac decided to fail on me last night! it's been randomly freezing up and force quit didn't work, so I had to do a hard restart and like many others, I received a flashing folder with the question mark icon during start up.

Thanks guys! all help is appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get a backup next time.

Data Rescue III is pretty good.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

4. ekk20 thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys.. i have a new question.

I have to use my start up disk to boot the computer, i can't reinstall OSX because it wouldn't find my harddrive, but under disk utility it DOES find my harddrive, now I have a external harddrive with a DMG file of the data recovery software, but how do i open that dmg file?

Thanks.
    Derek

5. l.a.rossmann, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013

l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Some of the best stuff is free. I made a post on data recovery which is freely available. It's similar to the procedures our shop uses for simple data recovery.

Some programs mentioned like diskwarrior, UFS Explorer, HDD regenerator, and Data Rescue Pro cost money. fsck and ddrescue are free. Give it a shot, and post your results.