Best deal on an iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macbanda, Jul 25, 2011.

1. macbanda macrumors member

I'm about to purchase an iMac and would like to know what is the most cost effective place to get it. I do qualify for the education discount but wonder if it's cheaper to buy the system through Amazon, or take advantage of say Best Buy's 0% interest for 18 months, or Apple's 12 month free interest.

Thank you

2. Clint007 macrumors member

You should mention in which country you live as a start.
    U.K. U.S.A. Canada or Polish????

3. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Good point; I am in the US

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Which model are you getting? Only Apple's online store can do build-to-orders, in which you should then check out education, military, or corporate discounts. My corporate discount is more than my education discount, but the education discount currently includes the $100 Appstore gift card... so I went that route.

If you're just getting a standard model and don't apply for any sort of education/military/corporate discount, I'd suggest Amazon, since they don't tax you. They typically beat the education discount prices and if they don't, the tax thing surely makes up for it. Plus, you can get free 2-day shipping or $4 overnight shipping if you're a prime member. However, if you live in a tax-free state, then this is a pretty moot point.

Best Buy is a decent option if you apply for an education discount, since they match Apple's promotion and give you a $100 Best Buy giftcard... but again, you'll see cheaper prices on Amazon (but without any sort of giftcard).

If you plan on using the credit options, Apple's is pretty hard to qualify for... I've seen a lot of others have more luck with Best Buy (and 18 months no interest is a snazzy deal).

So yeah, there's a lot of factors and options... that's for sure. There's also MacMall.com if you want to check that out lol.

5. macbanda thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, that helps a lot.