Best deal on the Wii?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mal, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Anyone know who's got any good deals running on the Wii right now? I'm particularly interested in getting a bundle that includes either Wii Fit or Super Smash Bro's, but I don't know if any of the bundles out there include those, if they're available in stores (not a requirement, but might be nice) and if they're a good deal. Any advice will be welcome!

BTW, if you're thinking about recommending any other game system, don't bother. I have a PS2 and a GameCube, I want a Wii and I don't want an XBOX or a PS3. Thanks anyways!

jW

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I haven't seen any deals but I have seen a few here and a few there fairly regularly at big box retailers. I'd suggest Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, and Mario Cart for sure and Wii Fit is actually more fun than it should be. I'd also suggest a rental service because there are quite a few bad eggs in the Wii game basket.

3. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I might consider signing up for Blockbuster's game rental service online (no due dates is a good thing for games). I'll just have to check in the stores around here and see if anyone's got any deals.

BTW, not a fan of Paper Mario, tried it and found it kind of annoying. Haven't yet played Galaxies but have been told it's good, and Mario Cart is a must. I'm also intending to get Lego Indiana Jones, as that whole series has been astounding.

jW

4. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

From what I have seen is that a good deal on a Wii is actually finding one. My brother in law has been looking for one for a month. It seems that stores get them in on a regular basis, but quickly sell out of them. They seem to only get small shipments, not 100's of units at one time.

But them again, I do live in cleveland. With all of the problems we have I am suprised we get any at all.........

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Lego Indiana Jones is a must, so is Lego Star Wars.

@mojohanna - Yeah I guess that geographic location plays a lot into it, I live in New Hampshire and it isn't uncommon for me to see a unit or two in the glass in the afternoons.

6. MatchFrame macrumors member

As far as deals, when Circuit City has them, they sell them in bundles, BUT the bundles are actually worth it. They all contain things 90% of us would buy anyway (extra Nintendo Wiimotes, Nunchucks, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.). Whether or not you get a discount overall is another story.

The key to getting a Wii if you have trouble is NOT to try to get it at GameStop. Best Buy, Target, Circuit City, and places like that are your best bet. Here's how to get one there...

They have their "Weekly Ads" that go into effect on Sundays (the ads you see in the Sunday paper). Since it is still a big deal to have Wii's in stock, they will make them available on Sundays to try to get people reading the Sunday paper to come out to the store. Therefore, they put an advertisement announcing that they are in stock in the "Weekly Ad" in the paper.

The way to get ahead of everyone is to check their websites between 2-4am on Sunday morning for them to update their Weekly Ad. If there's a Wii system advertised, they will be guaranteed to have some in stock (no less than 12 because Nintendo ships them in group of that size). Start a line early, and you're set.

This is how I got my Wii two weeks after they were released, and it was absolutely worth it to get lousy sleep for such a fantastic system. Good luck!