Best dealer/manufacturer for MBP ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tybee, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Tybee macrumors member

Tybee

Just got my 15" MBP 2.5 today and I'd like to max out the RAM asap. Given that many, many places sell pairs of 2 gig sticks for $90 - $100, I was wondering if there was any dealer or manufacturer in particular I should favor? Any I should avoid? As someone who's had a bad experience with faulty RAM in the past (desktop PC), I'm a little gun shy.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

A search would find that a lot of people like OWC.

3. seattle macrumors 6502

I have ordered ram from OWC several times and it has always worked great. Last time was just last week for my Mac Mini.

4. Tybee thread starter macrumors member

Tybee

Thanks for the recommendations. I've heard OWC touted elsewhere. Just wanted to get some more opinions.

Those of you who went with OWC: I notice they offer a trade-in of sorts (I'd get a $20 for my current 2 gb of RAM). Has anyone done this? Would I be better off just throwing it up on eBay?

5. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Add me to the OWC crowd. I don't know if it's worth offering the RAM on eBay; less hassle to trade in the old stuff to OWC and get most of what your "could" get at auction. Frankly, with the low price of RAM these days, most folks are likely to get it from a retailer that gives a lifetime guarantee (as most do). So not sure what the eBay RAM market would ultimately offer.

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I got mine from Egghead and 4G Latency 4 for 79.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Keep in case you ever have to take your Mac in for repair