Best dedicated graphic card

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Serban, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Serban Suspended

In present or in the close future is there any better dedicated graphic card than 680MX?

2. leman macrumors 604

You are talking about mobile chips? The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M is currently the fastest mobile card, AFAIK....

3. torana355 macrumors 68020

The 780m may find its way into a revised iMac down the line.

4. MeatRocket macrumors regular

Another member & I went chasing down the specs and benchmarks just last week on this. The 680MX in the iMac is specialized just for the iMac. The 780m is "mainstream". It gets about 2% more performance in benchmarks, has the same # of cuda cores and everything. It's virtually the same card. The only chance a new iMac would have a better card is if Apple gets a specialized card again which isn't out of the question. They surprised everyone with the 680MX & I'd wager they'd do it again for the new iMac as the 780M just isn't that much of a spec bump.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

For the first time nVidia makes a special card just for Mac computer, the 680MX. No laptop will ever uses it (now 7xxM is out, what's the point of going back with 6) It's not mobile cards (120watt TDP, folks) .. but not exactly desktop card either (significantly weaker than real 680).

It's hybrid, it works quite well and I hope Apple keep getting this modified graphic chip in the future.
    So far my late 2012 iMac has been great. Not so much with my old 2011 . T'was terrible machine

6. Serban thread starter Suspended

7. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

I'd say most likely.

On paper it looks better. 700 series 'current' graphics card. Larger number = "upgrade".

but in practice it'll be almost the same thing.