Best defragmentation tool for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sclomps, Oct 10, 2011.

1. sclomps macrumors newbie

A few days ago I tried to create a new partition to install windows so I could play a few games that are only available for windows, however, every time I tried to create a new partition I received a error message when using boot camp assistent or disk utility (as I said on this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1243649&goto=newpost)

After a few researches I discovered I would need to defrag my HD because I have lots of multi-giga files and lots of files bigger than 20 mb so the automatic defrag from the system isn't going to work.

So my question is: is there any free and good program that would defrag my files? I tried installing iDefrag but I couldn't make it work and I'm not going to pay 20 euros only to run it once (in fact I would only pay for it if it was my only option). I also tried Drive Genius 3 but it didn't work. If there is no free option for me, please tell me which one to buy.

Thanks guys for all your help!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Really, the best option is to clone to an external drive and restore the clone back

Carbon Copy Cloner is free
    But you will need an external drive
    But that would be a good investment for a backup regardless